Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
as a young kid Im no expert, but I believe it only has to do with older transmissions where you have to press the clutch once to disengage it, then press it again to change gears.

Im pretty sure this right, but the others will let you know

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
before transmissions had syncros, you would have to step on the clutch to take it out of gear, let off the clutch, than step on it again to put it back in gear. as opposed to steping on it, and going right from one gear to the next.

i have found it still comes in handy with wore out transmissions. i usualy have to double clutch my dd to get it into reverse.

or at least, i think thats right /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

- Jason

·
Registered
810 Posts
No problem, glad I could help. Next week I'll be posting about such topics as:

Where can I buy engine oil?
Why is the sky blue?
Why do chicks dig the long-ball?
How would I get ketchup stains out of a silk tie?
Should I be upset with "Let's just be friends?"

tmendham - I'm here for the timid!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't wait to see "why is the sky blue?" My daughter has been asking that for some time and the only response I have is "because".

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It helps on a new large truck tranny which can be tough to shift. When down shifting, you want to go to neutral, bring the engine up to it approximate RPM in the lower gear, depress the clutch and shift into the next lower gear. Double clutching on the up shift slows the transmission to where the synchros have and easier job and don't fight you. With old "crash box" transmission it was a necessity and a special skill.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You can sure tell it's Friday! LOL!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
the sky is blue because blue light most easily scattered by the particles of air. the shorer the wavelegnth (purple is actually the shortest, but blue is up there) the easier it is scattered, so when the sun is high in the sky, most of the light (ie, orange, yellow, red, etc..) is not scattered. this is why, during a sunset, you can see different colors as the light you see has to pass through more and more of the atmosphere.

some food for thought: we see the sun after it has already set. ie, in the evening, when it is going down, we can see it after it is behind the earth. why? when light goes from one density of a material to another, it bends (this is called refraction). since the upper atmosphere is much colder (more dense) than the atmosphere at the surface of the earth, the suns light will refract off of the upper atmosphere, and bend around the curvature of the earth.

what does this have to do with clutches? i have no clue. but its cool none the less /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
or how about: We see the sun after it has already set because it takes a while for the light to travel the thousands of miles needed until it reaches the earth. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
At 186,000 Miles Per SECOND (that's 669,600,000 mph to put it in "auto terms") it doesn't take long.

John Harvey

·
Registered
391 Posts
Double clutching is a technique useful for a lot of things, like if you don't think the first time was enough.

Blue sky could be the reflection from my Alcapulco Blue 1967:
http://pages.prodigy.net/opabear/_uimages/PICT0048-B.jpg

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Its somewhere around 9 minuets for the suns light to reach the earth if memmory serves me right. in the grand scheme of things, the speed of light is actually pretty slow.
alpha centauri, our closest neighboring star, is about 4 years away at the speed of light. which, acording to einstine, is the fastest anything can travel. kidna puts a damper on the whole space exploration thing... (yes i am aware that none of this information has any place in a mustang forum, but whatever...)

- Jason

·
Registered
182 Posts
granny shifting is when you are jamming in first gear- full throttle and you back off momentarily on the accelerator simultaneously stabbing the clutch and shifting into second-be a wussie and do third the same way!REAL men don`t backoff on the throttle---just stab and grab--bang,bang,verrangggg-- oh #$%%^@!missed a gear!
look over and see your your buddies laughin`pointing fingers at ya!

random drug test all elected officials--see how they like it!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I always thought granny shifting was grabbing the next gear before the motor "peaked out", or shifting prematurely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since we're asking science type questions.
How about "Where does the white go when snow melts?"

·
Registered
182 Posts
maybe in alabama--but in philly thats granny shiftin`your less likely to miss a gear doing it like that--hence the term "man you shift like my granny" usually shouted from the backseat area!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Since we're asking science type questions.
How about "Where does the white go when snow melts?"

In Tinkerbelles Castle!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Missed this earlier, sorry.
I would tell her that the sky is blue (and white) because God is a Penn State Fan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts