Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one headliner rod issue. The second one back fro the front window is pulling down when I hit certain speeds and it would go back fine but I can see that it is now currently not going back up tight and is pulling down easier now.

Sometimes the first is as well. The headliner appears to be orig but I am not 100% sure. I don't want to replace it but I see that htere are these clips that only appear to hold the last bow at the rear window. Am I wrong that those are the only ones?

Any thoughts on what is my issue or if there is a way to put it back right?

1969 mach 1 headliner.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
No, they are the only ones. When installed, the headliner is pulled rearward to load the bows. Stretching of the headliner is probably the cause. You may be able to unglue the sides of the headliner where it's glued to the window opening and sail panels so you can pull it rearward more, but a headliner replacement may be more in order.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the single front bow sag on higher speeds mean that the rear is lose?

I have heard of people not requiring the windows to be removed when installing new, is it worth the effort to do this?

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Does the single front bow sag on higher speeds mean that the rear is lose?

I have heard of people not requiring the windows to be removed when installing new, is it worth the effort to do this?
Probably the entire headliner is stretched. Yes, you CAN install a new headliner without pulling the glass... it just takes a bit more careful trimming front and rear and then sliding the headliner in under the rubber gasket with a thin coating of weatherstrip adhesive.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Fastback, 289, T5-5 speed
306 Posts
I have no idea about the 69’s but I just fixed my 68. I had the first bow from the windshield hanging down. It popped out of the hole above the driver’s door in the roof rail. I peeled back the headliner on the edge to access the end of the bow. I put it back into the hole and re-glued the headliner. I had it fixed in 20 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts