Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I must give credit to nightbluemistgt350 for his great idea.
Quote:
I am just bumping around in the dark on this swap, but from what I have read, you can use the switch from any of the 70s through early 80s Ford Trucks that had the intermittent wipers. You get the switch, harness, and delay box. I think somewhere I saw a wiring diagram, but I don't know where. You also would obviously need the 2 speed wiper motor."

Base upon the above I went out to a local wrecking yard (which are hard to find now days around here). I forgot to memorize what my single speed motor looked like so I was taking a big chance. I first discovered this 1973 F100 truck that according to the amount of clicks had a 2 speed switch. Looking at where the motor was and having 4 wires, I anticipated it was a 2 speed motor. I remove it along with the switch still connected (important to remember this).

When you remove the motor, remove the holding bracket and everything else related to it, along with it's switch uncut.

Further down the row I found a couple mid '80's F250's which according to how the switch worked they had intermitten + two speed. Attached to the switch was a black box (similar to what you find in Stealth bombers i'm sure) :: Remove the switch assembly with blackbox still attached. You will need to cut wires somewhere above stream of the switch.

Just so you don't fall asleep, I successfully combined the '73 F100 motor with the '86 F250 wiper motor switch and everything works.

The '86 switch has 6 wires coming out. The '73 motor has 4 wires. I first elimated the extra two wires for power and winshield water pump. The remaining 4 wires I figured had to go to the motor but of course the wire colors do not match perfectly.

Motor wires: Black, Blue, White, Red
Switch wires: Blk/red, Pur/red, White, Red

I had already tested the motor wires to find that the blue wire was for fast speed and white was for slow. Thus I connected white to white, red to red, blk/red (switch) to black (motor) and purple/red to blue (motor). First try and it worked. I could not believe the luck.

Intermitten is now 2.5 seconds at fastest speed and 11.5 seconds at slowest speed. With the switch at 12:00 position being off, you turn right to enter slow speed and then further for fast speed. Back at 12:00 if you turn counter clockwise you enter intermitten.

Various comments:

1. The 2 speed motor has the exact same bolting pattern as the single speed, slight longer in length which is no big thing, but how it fastens to the motor brace (bracket) is a little different than what you are use to. Because of this you will plan to use the wiper linkage arm (connect the motor spindle to the wiper arms) that comes with the motor instead of salvaging the arm from your single speed.

2. Removing the '73 motor and it's switch intact is very important for if you do it this way you can remove the wire ends from it's junction block (near the switch) and insert them into the '86 switch's connector.

3. The '86 switch is a little too long both body and shaft so I put a thick washer behind the switch spacer and then cut the shaft about 3/8" leaving enough room to activate the washer pump when you push the switch in.

Hell....this is almost better than secks. I'd better be careful for if she saw this.

Anyhoo, This is just a little gift I need to share with all your fellow mustangers who have helped my with my daughter's car. Maybe this can help someone. I was like a kid on a sugar high when I test this today.

By the way, having a battery charger as ones source of 12v is the only way to do.

Here are some pics. Any question, I'd be happy to answer.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/173988636/356200750GptZRf

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not ever having a 66 dual speed motor I can't say for sure but odds are, yes. The main purpose of my post is to let others know that there are other year motors and switches that will work.

Does the 66 dual speed have 4 wires coming out of the motor? If so, then I'm sure it can be rigged to work the the more recent switches with intermitten.

I'm far from being an authoritian on this subject, but just trying to tell all what I recently encountered.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geez,
I just finished re-reading my terrible english in my first post. I was being rushed to "hurry up and wash up for dinner" so I didn't bother to edit it. Argh!!! Sorry.

Anyway, the '86 F250 switch setup with the black box cost me a whopping $13.99 at a pick-N-pull. The motor cost me $18.50. While I was there I found another identical switch set up from an '85 F250 so it came home as a spare. I heard the black box (according to a Bronco forum) which is surrounded by a sheet of orange foam, is very sensitive to internal impact damage so you want to be careful when removing it and tossing it in your tool bag.

My first pic shows my spare switch which I identifed the 4 motor wires from the two extra (power & washer pump). In my original post I said to remove the motor and it's switch intact (if you need to find a motor). I was able to carefully remove the motor's 4 wires from their connector up by the motor's switch and once identified, removed and replaced the '86 switch 4 motor wires from it's connector. Very clean set up, with no spliced or cut wires. This allows me to not having to use any of the painless wires for this area except for it's power wire.

On a side note, ever notice how much heavier your tool bag is when you leave a wrecking yard?

Next project: Headlight switch install. For some of you a slam dunk, but for us who are installing all new wiring throughout, every electrical step is BIG.

I need to quickly finish installing the necessary items back into the dash so I can attempt to start the engine. My daughter's birthday is in July... :eek:

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I have been removing the delay set ups I find and selling them on ebay and truck forums. never though the stuff would work in a vintage stang.

I never pulled the wiper motors.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did this a while ago and have posted it here a few times. Teh intermittent trick has been a big upgrade on the Classic Broncos for years. Recently the mustang guys got wind of it and the price of the switches on e-bay has doubled. Basically you can use any switch from a for truck/bronc from late 70's to early 90's. The easiest way to tell if it's the right one is look at the plug into the wiper switch, if it's orange then bingo you have the right one. Grab the delay box and switch harness. If you have a 67 (most models) then it's a plug and play setup. You will have to ground a wire and maybe relocate a wire for the washer pump but very simple upgrade. The correct motor for this is in about a million different ford cars from 70's to 90's. There a dime a dozen. I have a list if you need it.

Now if you have a 66 or earlier then it's quite a bit more work. You need a new motor. The 66 2 speed won't work. I had to get a bracket from a 68 (67 works too) and use a motor from a 70 bronco. I took the motor to linkage connector off the 66 motor put it on the bronco motor. Then mounted the bronco motor to the 68 mustang bracket. The only problem is that only 3 holes line up. I had to weld an inch tab to the bracket to get the 4 hole to line up. Then just wire it up. There are 4 wires to the motor from the switch then one power to the switch and the ground.

Intermittent wipers are a necessity here in the north west. If you have any questions let me know. I have wiring diagrams of the switch, motor and everything in between. I have done this swap a bunch of times on broncos.

Galen

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'70 Bronco motor has 4 holes??? The '73 F100 motor has 3 which lines up perfectly with my stock 65 bracket. Sounds like you went through too much work. The only gotcha was that the 65 motor legs sit down into their respective rubber grommet holes. The '73 motor legs diameters are larger and will not recess down my original grommets.
I happen to have the bracket that came off the '73 and noticed that the motor does not recess into it's own grommets either. Instead it sits on top. So I just removed the steel inserts from the '73 grommets and applied them to my 65 grommets. Also because the motor sits on top of the bracket you need to use its linkage arm which has more bend in it. The only other thing I did was to relocate the little grounding terminal that was on my '65 motor to the '73 motor and connected a grounding wire to it.

Slam dunk!

I wasn't going to install a wiper washer pump but now I'm considering going back out to the wrecking yard and get a washer/overflow reservoir that I saw from a F250 that is divided in half serving both overflow for the rad and also fluid and built in pump for the windshield.

I wish other little projects on our car can come out as clean as this. This is almost as neat as when I installed a backup light switch in my '50 chevy truck's SM420 tranny. Another story.... ::

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you remenber how you wired it. I just returned from the junk yard with my loot and I am testing the system before I install it. I can't get it to work. Don't know if it is me or the motor is bad.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure I do. I just helped another Mustanger do something similar in his. Did you carefully read my post regarding the different wires, etc?

Doing a bench test is the way to go for sure. If you like you can call me right now at (650) 326-4066 and I can probably walk you through it after I study my notes for a couple seconds.

But my first questions is what wire do you have the power source + connected to and where is the negative connected to.

I'm out in the garage working on my daughter's coupe. It's actually much easier to iron this out verbally.

Craig

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting info here. I have just finish swapping a 65 dual speed wiper/switch/bracket combination in to my 65 vert project and found that the single speed setup had nothing to share with the 65 dual speed. Even the mounting bracket is different.

Now I have a question for all of you that swap the motor with the newest 70-79 truck one. Is there any speed difference between them?
I have found that my setup has 2 speeds, slow and crawling. I am about to believe that the single speed was faster than this one. At the beginning I though it was the motor so I got a second one but still no improvements.

Also in previous post above galenweaver mention that there were many options in choosing a motor. If any one knows which are those I will be interested because finding 70's trucks and cars here it's a real pain.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I can say is that I replaced our single speed motor with a mid 70's dual speed motor. The bolt pattern for both are the same but the legs of the 70's motor do not sit down inside the original 65's bracket. I commented on this in my first post. If you are trying to compare a 2 spd 65 motor with a mid 70's truck motor, I have no idea.

Maybe I'm confused with your questions.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here is a Pic of all the diferent motors and brackets so you will see the diferences between all.

My question is simple. I will like to know if the newer 70-79 F 250 motor is faster than my original 2 speed or single speed setup.

Also what other motors,cars,years fit the same bracket. I got the one in the picture from Western Auto. it's a remanufatured unit from Cardone but after close inspection it's an original Ford remanufactured by them and fit's the single speed bracket perfectly. The drawback is... cost. $89.95 + $10.00 for the core.
[IMG]http://www.myfilestash.com/./userfiles/arpm/MUSTANG/POST.gif[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like A and E have the same footprint but A's feet sitdown into the rubber grommets that are on the bracket. Though E's feet are of same pattern, they are larger in diameter than A's and wont fit down into the rubber grommets. Instead they sit on top of the rubber grommets.

Speed of motor-I only have a single speed vs mid 70's dual speed to compare and the results are:

single speed original-The wiper arm rotates about 52 rpm.

dual speed-Slow = approx 38 rpm.

dual speed-Fast = approx 52 rpm.

I have to assume that even the old 2 speeds were cut down to similar speeds, but again do not have a motor like that to test.

Regards
Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts