Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently started restoring 1967 mustang coupe. after almost finishing it, I noticed the car was sitting uneven. sitting 1 inch low from rear driver side and 1 inch low from front passenger side. I was going to change springs and shocks in the front either way and i got them done today. Took it off the jack stands, the car is still sitting the same (uneven). What can cause it to sit uneven like that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are the coil springs in correctly? Are both coil spring mount tabs to the back? Broken, hard to see, leaf spring?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took it to the test drive today. still sitting same. tried it on different even ground wil no difference. Can it be one of the leaf springs making it sit uneven from front as well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked the springs twice. can it be any other suspension part causing it to sit uneven. Also got the frame checked. its even.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Measure all 4 corners on level ground. That may at least pinpoimt which is the issue. Did you tighten the lower contril arm bolts before letting the car down. Should leave them somewhat loose then tighten once weight is on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll do that next. pretty good point. that way i'll be able to tell if its the suspension or something else.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The lower control arm bushings/ alignment eccentrics need to be tightened with the car sitting on the ground with the wheels/tires on. Make sure the serrations that lock the bushing sleeves to the car body are completely loose. Then lower the car to the ground and bounce the front making sure the bushing sleeves are not binding. Spin the eccentric all the way around at least once to make sure it's centered evenly. Tighten when you get it into the right position. It can be difficult if you don't have a drive-on lift and air tools, but not impossible. When you get the bolts tight enough use crayons or something and make several marks to ensure that nothing moves. Now you can lift the car and use a torque wrench on the eccentrics. The car will need an alignment, of course, and you can ask the shop to check your work. But it has been my experience that shops miss my mistakes.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Wait a second... you say it’s low on the drivers side rear corner and low on the passenger side front corner? The only way for that to happen is your car has to bend in the middle! Well, a frame twist would do it too, but that isn’t ideal either!

What are you using as your reference points? Body panels and bumpers flop around independent of the slightly stiffer frame portions of the car. I would measure from the frame rail to the ground to eliminate the floppy body panel affect.

Can you capture the unevenness in a picture? Would be interested to see...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I had that problem ages ago. When I took the rear leafs off and compared them to the front coils, the leafs were curved unevenly. One was taller than the other. (Brand new that way) by about 5/8" Since I had them on the car for about a year I could not really send them back. Bought a new pair from the same reseller. Same thing on the new pair, so I took the best matching 2 out of four and installed them.
Problem solved ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts