Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to begin the 4 speed swap on the 70 Mach 1.
First step is to install the combination brake and clutch pedal assembly.

Does the dash have to come out for this? Steering assembly? It looks like pretty daunting job under there.

Anybody ever attempt?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
It looks like pretty daunting job under there.
The most difficult part of the job is laying on your back/sideways trying to work up under the dash.

No, the dash should not need to be removed. It may give you some light in there to remove the instrument cluster. The master cylinder/brake booster bolts to the forward edge of the pedal hanger, it'll have to be slide forward in order to remove the hanger.

If it were me, I'd drop the steering column. Just a couple bolts hold it up to the dash anyway.

Consider temporarily removing the drivers side front seat to provide much more wiggle room while working under the dash.

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Have to remove the clutch pedal, myself. Dreading it. I'd probably pull the fresh air vent as well.. Perhaps not in the way for you, not sure.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Remove the driver's side seat. It is a big help.

If you have not had the support rollerized then you need to get it done. Mustang Steve will do it for $100. You will be glad you did.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
The stock pedal hanger is notorious for wearing out the bushings on the clutch/brake pedal and usually soon after developing bad cracks. There is a simple modification that replaces the stock teflon bushings with a ball-bearing "rollerized" assembly. This is a popular modification and reduces pedal effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts