Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends

Well I Grabbed the torque wrench and a few toothpicks to create very accurate sensitive pointers.

I set my first Timing mark on my Crank pulley to my Pointer and hand cranked away !

When movement is noted on the rotor. I then glanced at my mark lines 0 , 3, 6 , 9, and 12. After several pulls its clear I have 7 degrees of movement slack in the timing chain. Is this enough to cause serious effects on anything.

I have replaced all parts in the ignition system and a good condition holley carb. I'm getting only 10 MPG and a wondered how much the slack in the chain is affecting that.

The Idle seems to have a sputter and she wont purr. On a all stock 289.
Your thoughts on this issue?

Thx

Lawrence

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
LarryMal, yeah, you need a new chain and gears. I don't think the timing chain ALONE, is the cause of your poor mileage, but it certainly isn't HELPING you any. Get a good Cloyes set with steel gears and swap it on there. LSG

·
Registered
37,973 Posts
It won't have any effect until it jumps a tooth. The only time your distributor will see a "variance" is when the engine is decelerating and inertia causes the slackness in the chain to move from the "coast" (passenger) side to the "drive" (drivers) side and that is only a momentary occurrence as the crankshaft has far greater inertial mass than the camshaft.

·
Registered
102 Posts
First tooth pick-Belt.
2nd TP-Alt
3rd TP-Water pump
4th TP-Balancer
5th TP-Fuel Pump
6th TP-Front Cover
Always have a new spare double row timing set and gaskets "laying around".
Turn the tooth picks around, and your' done!:)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do the plugs look? Exhaust? Whats initial and total timing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The plugs are black but not wet, No help there. The exhaust is smoking after 5 minutes at idle. my timing light is broken but its approx set at 12 degrees currently.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Mal if the plugs are black, its WAY too rich. I think you have carb problems. Do you have a vacuum can on the dizzy ? hooked up to what ? LSG

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mal if the plugs are black, its WAY too rich. I think you have carb problems. Do you have a vacuum can on the dizzy ? hooked up to what ? LSG

HI LSG

I will take out a plug and get you a photo. This is a old school engine all stock C code. A stretched timing chain by 7 degrees.

If I can get the dizzy curved and change out little weights or springs.. will lowering the top end limit of the Vacuum advance help mPG. its initial is 12 degrees. I have some parts coming in the mail yet.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HI LSG

I will take out a plug and get you a photo. This is a old school engine all stock C code. A stretched timing chain by 7 degrees.

If I can get the dizzy curved and change out little weights or springs.. will lowering the top end limit of the Vacuum advance help mPG. its initial is 12 degrees. I have some parts coming in the mail yet.

No. one plug

This is a garage queen. I t gets about 1000 miles in 30 years .

·
Registered
218 Posts
if you really believe it is the timing chain causing your issue why don't you just put in a new timing chain ?
It takes all of a couple of hours

have you tried a vacuum gauge?

ken

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
my experience a chain only lasts 50,000 miles
Mine last 216,000 miles on my 67 before it jumped. :eek:
It's replacement now has 90,000 miles. :giggle:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you really believe it is the timing chain causing your issue why don't you just put in a new timing chain ?
It takes all of a couple of hours

have you tried a vacuum gauge?

ken
I did put a Vacuum gauge n the rear manifold port when adjusting screws on the carburetor. I am pulling 22 HG thru the carb. the cain wont make and issue with mpg . But i don't like the rough not smooth idle. Guess I'll keep youtube searching.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is the vacuum gauge steady or moving around?
What RPM is it running at.
there should be two vac ports on the front of the carb gauge should be connected to the lower port.
Are you sure you dont have a bad plug wire?
Is it points or electronic
if points have you checked the dwell?

ken

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is the vacuum gauge steady or moving around?
What RPM is it running at.
there should be two vac ports on the front of the carb gauge should be connected to the lower port.
Are you sure you dont have a bad plug wire?
Is it points or electronic
if points have you checked the dwell?

ken

"there should be two vac ports on the front of the carb gauge should be connected to the lower port." (what)?????

ITS OLD SCHOOL !!!! OMG !!!

points distributor 35 years sitting.

I did check the dwell which was rock solid steady using a borrowed gauge. My Vac gauge is also steady. I will be buying new tools soon like a timing light. which failed on me.

All wires are perfect, all running same resistance, new coil, new ballast, new solenoid, points condenser, et etc

my only thought would be carb tuning which i have done and maybe missed something ,,,and I have not curved the distributor.

Thanks for helping Ken

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reactions: HoustonGlock
1 - 20 of 24 Posts