Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 mustang with a 302. I just rebuilt the engine. On the start up, it ran for about two-and-half seconds. The engine locked up completely and there was water in the oil pan. After taking the engine apart, I found flashing in the cylinders which locked up the piston. The forged piston had caved in the cylinder wall.

I put World Product Heads on the block, and my guess is that I missed the debris in my initial inspection. (I'll never make that mistake again.)

Anyway, to the question, since the block is fresh (so to speak) and original, economically I would be better off sleaving that one cylinder. Has anyone over had any experiences with a sleeve in a block? I would love to hear some input. I am still a novice to this stuff and would like to have input.

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
If the sleeves are that thin that one sleeve crushes I would suspect the others sleeves too.

Blocks are cheap. Personally, I would get another block and be confident of the result.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
People fear sleeves. I welcome them (since they dont cast my block and havent for nearly 30 years). A sleeve is gonna cost you around $80. I would go for it. ALL aluminum block engines are sleeved... if sleeves suck so much, why are aluminum blocks so damn expensive? :)

G

·
0 Posts
I have the original block for my car and have one cylinder sleeved since the rebuild several years ago. No problems so far. I wanted to keep the original block.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Fear not. A sleeve will be the ultimate solution. Strong, uniform and standard size.. Look at everthing closely while you have it apart - you might want to invest in a sonic check of the block before you do anything - If one cylinder collapsed, I'm thinking wall thickness problems..

·
Registered
310 Posts
If done right.. Sleves are great...A dry sleve is better than a wet sleve job.. Dry meaning the original cylender does not need to be cut thru to the water jacket.. Though.. for a 302, if not going for originality, a block that can be machined go for less than $100.. I agree with the others, if one cylender went, then the others probably arent far behind..

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Sleeving is great if you have a cleveland or a numbers matching block in a concourse/thorobred car. Given the ubiqious natare of 302 blocks and your application IMO you would be better servered to just get a new block.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Sorry to hear about your motor. A wet sleeve will keep me awake nights. Now might be a good time to find a 5.0 roller and put your heads on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts