Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much more cooling have you realized when going from a 2-core to a 3-core in your Mustangs? Was it a vast difference or only slight?

I bought a "heavy duty cooling" 3-core radiator for my mid-eighties GM A-body daily driver. When I took the old one out, I noticed that the car was pretty much designed for standard cooling and the 2-core rad that was in it as there's a very-specific rubber weatherstrip that attaches to the core support and reaches right up to the radiator's edge. I can install the 3-core, no problem there, but I'm wondering if I'll be over-cooling the system. If I were in Florida, Arizona, California, etc., I'd put in the 3-core without hesitation. But being in Michigan bares the consideration of the winter months and cooling too much (we here in the cold climes actually have to put cardboard in front of the radiators of some vehicles during winter so they'll produce more heat).

The car always runs cool (when the radiator isn't toast /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) and heats up well in the winter with the 2-core and, considering the specific rubber piece, was obviously meant to have the 2-core unit. I don’t do any towing or hauling with this car, so that’s not a concern. So, I’m wondering, did the change to a 3-core make a noticeable difference in cooling in anyone's Mustang?

G

·
0 Posts
Huge diff on the Stang going to a a-zone 3 core, then when it came unglued and i put
in 3 core high efficency from npd another drop. Will sit in traffic all day, 99 outside and the a/c
on and barley move over 180.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I put a 3 core in my 65 because I had to go 40 over on the bore. I thought it would run hot becuase it was 40 over, but it really doesn't. Even on the hottest days, I'll climb to about 1/2 way on the needle in stop and go after it is hot. It really does make a difference. If an engine is properly timed and the flow is good, you shouldn't have any problem with a 2 core.

G

·
0 Posts
My car runs 200 degrees when driving and 210 when idling. Its a stock recored 2 core from a 302 that is trying to cool my 351 c. A 3 or 4 core is needed, but I think $260.00 for a 71-73 radiator is absurd, and out of my budget. You 65-66 guys have it easy:) I have been looking on for a while now, no luck. Good luck.
btw. Hows this off topic?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Use the proper thermostat and you should be fine with a 3-row.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts