Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of rounding off the fittings on the p/s hoses and everything else that you need a line wrench for. Who makes a good quality wrench that I won't have to mortgage the house for to buy a set? :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've seen several discussions of tools lately. I think the consensus is that the best "ordinary brand" tools are Husky.

Stanley, Craftsman, Crescent, and the other formerly good everyday tool makers sell crap these days. Kobalt's big selling point is that it's from the same company as Snap-On... which is true, the same way the Pinto and the Cobra came from the same company. Kobalt has great chrome on some of the crummiest manufacturing I've seen in tools.

But Husky has maintained and even improved their line over the past decades, and every Husky piece I have is a fair match for my old Craftsman and handful of Snap-On tools.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The craftsman set is a pretty good wrench. After trashing some off brand wrench's I went to a craftsman set and have not had any problems. Worked great when I stripped all the lines off of my 69 and I know some had never been loose since the factory install.

Ductman

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
if you don't plan on using them every day Harbor Freight has i think a 6 wrench set for about $14 - made in China of course. they are shiny.

·
Registered
758 Posts
if you don't plan on using them every day Harbor Freight has i think a 6 wrench set for about $14 - made in China of course. they are shiny.
Pick up one of those sets of six different vise grips while you're at it - you'll need them to remove the flare nuts after you've rounded them off with the wrenches hand-filed to almost be the right size. :p

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
better look again at the Husky hand tools in Home Depot,they are now prouldly marked made in China

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Good ones, S-K or Proto

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Read my original post. I want a GOOD set
First, you don't need a set. Sets are designed to sell as much product as possible, including items you'll never use. The Snapon line wrench set is over $350, but on a Mustang, you only need 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 & 9/16. I rarely use the 9/16 I have. I'd say get the 5/16 & 3/8 and 7/16 & 1/2 combo wrenches. It'll set you back about $50 for the pair, but these are the GOOD wrenches, none better, period.

SNAP ON LINE WRENCHES

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I wouldn't trade my Snap-on set for anything, they are the greatest!!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses folks. I was wanting the snap-ons but I thougt they were around 100.00 for the 3 wrenches so I guess I'll prolly get 'em.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the Snap-on's as well. I ended up getting the whole set off of ebay for about 1/4 the price of new. A couple of them were engraved with the PO name, but other than that they are like new. They are truly the best tools you can buy if you can afford it. I have good luck getting them off ebay for about 1/2 price. But also try pawn shops. they will sometimes have quality tools for a good price.

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts