Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m mocking up my driveshaft in my 65 and my car was originally auto but I converted it to a top loader 4 speed, I have the driveshaft when it was an auto. It seems to fit just fine, the only thing is you have to remove the slip yoke (when it is fully pressed up against the trans) about an inch out, and it works just fine. Would that be ok? Or would trans oil just leak out?

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
I don't understand your question.
To install the driveshaft you insert the slip yoke into the transmission all the way until the slip yoke hits something solid. Then you raise the aft end up and line up the 2 caps with the half-circle cutouts in the pinion yoke and then pull the driveshaft backwards to seat the caps into the cutouts. The distance that you pull the driveshaft aft is the amount of freeplay you have in the slip yoke and most people recommend something like 1/2" to 3/4".

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
1" is usually the amount of play you shoot for on the slip yoke. The reality is if you have less and can install the driveshaft then you have enough play in the slip yoke. The 1" just makes it easier. I would not want more then 1 1/4" of play. The drive shaft moves very little when the suspension goes through its travel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts