Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Mustang Coupe. It came with a 289 that has been bored, stroked, polished, ported, you name it. Upon inspection, the block numbers make it out to be a 64' HiPo block (not that it matters anymore). We picked up a 68' 4-speed toploader to mate up to it. I purchased the correct bellhousing to connect the 68' transmission to the 5-bolt motor. But, the slip yoke on the drive shaft i have is too small for the output shaft on the toploader. I looked in a parts book, and there only seems to be one size slip yoke. Any ideas on what's going on here?

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
Upon inspection, the block numbers make it out to be a 64' HiPo block (not that it matters anymore).
No such thing. The 289HP used the same casting as any other 289. Really.

We picked up a 68' 4-speed toploader to mate up to it. I purchased the correct bellhousing to connect the 68' transmission to the 5-bolt motor. But, the slip yoke on the drive shaft i have is too small for the output shaft on the toploader. I looked in a parts book, and there only seems to be one size slip yoke. Any ideas on what's going on here?
You're looking in the wrong book, then. There were 3 yokes for the toploader, 25 spline, 28 spline, and 31 spline. All are available new, in the Glazier/Nolan catalog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts