Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66 stang built for street/strip. Have my battery(new)in the trunk. I have a CVR mini high torque starter. Have a 1/0 ground going to battery to the block and a 1/0 ground going from block to frame. Also a ground going from head to firewall. My power cable is the 2 ga provide with batt relocation kit, it goes from battery to solenoid then a stater cable from solenoid to starter woooo. Problem is the damn thing cranks very slow and fires right up. I don't want to destroy the starter so I'm wondering if my power cables too small? Any you track guys have any recommendations??

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,659 Posts
Look up "voltage drop testing". There are Youtube videos about it too. With a multimeter and a helper you should be able to nail the issue in short order.
Cheater's way is to use a thermal imaging camera if you have access to one. You can look at the various connections while the engine is being cranked and the problem area should show hot and obvious. I don't have such a camera but I've used one on wiring before and they are the business. I can't quite justify the money for one though. Yet.
In any case, your problem is most likely something isn't making quite a good enough connection. The ends of the ground cable being priority suspects.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea, I'll try that. We have one in the shop. Anyone else have other suggestions??

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
What do you have your timing set at? Could be just a little too far advanced. Do you notice it's worse after driving it, parking, then trying to re-start?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts