Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like everything I go to put back on the car is taking longer than anticipated, lately.

I guess I should expect this, from now on, but it's a little frustrating.

It took me 2-3 days just to do the tail light panel, and I still have some detail work to do today. Initially I would have thought 2-3 hours not 2-3 days...

Oh well, I am going to try and relax and not set too lofty goals in the reconstruction. At least it's better than doing bodywork! ;)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
"Haste makes waste" is a real good rule of thumb to live by when putting the car back together.

If it takes you 3 months to do it, so be it, it'll be done right and not half-ass. Take it at an even pace and before you know it you'll be looking around for the next part to install and there won't be anything left.

How about some progress pictures?

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Funny how you get that false feeling that once the paints on...the cars all but done! ;)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
4 days to get my wiper motor and linkage in
That's gotta be some kind of record.... what were the obstacles that slowed you down for 3.95 days?

Dave

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Progress pictures are coming. I have some in the camera, I will take some tonight, and hope to update soon.

I am trying to be patient.

I did power up the LED tail lights last night, just to make sure that they were working before I permanently fastened the panel to the car.

Should get some work done on the valance tonight I hope.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
DaveSanborn said:
4 days to get my wiper motor and linkage in
That's gotta be some kind of record.... what were the obstacles that slowed you down for 3.95 days?

Dave
-20C weather, 2 busted foot pumps (Still haven't fixed that yet), cross threaded (Not from me I don't think?) nuts, all of them (wiper linkages, and motor bracket), except for the 2 top motor brackets.. but I just reefed all those in.. Lack of rubber to make gaskets (Used the oldddddddd leather ones), and, had to add a power wire provision for the ez-wiring (Seems I must have taken it out at some point?).

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
It took me 5 weekends to get up enough courage to check my underdash wiring harness prior to installation. And then, another 2 weeks before I had courage enough to connect the battery and look for the "Smoke Jeannie" to appear. Fortunately, she stayed within the wire insulation.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Johnny,

For what it's worth, I work in a climate controlled shop and have for the most part unlimited resources. Although I haven't done any troubleshooting, I still haven't figured out why my WS wipers aren't working....

Dave

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ripped said:
It took me 2-3 days just to do the tail light panel, and I still have some detail work to do today. Initially I would have thought 2-3 hours not 2-3 days...
When it comes to project delays, what takes the longest is when you are not working on it. Sure, everything takes longer than you estimated to your wife how long you'd be in the garage, but the killer to projects is when 4 months of dust gathers between sessions. That's the 10 year restoration or the project car that gets sold for .25 cents on the dollar. Keep at it and you'll suddenly find you're almost done.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Ripped said:
Progress pictures are coming. I have some in the camera, I will take some tonight, and hope to update soon.

I am trying to be patient.

I did power up the LED tail lights last night, just to make sure that they were working before I permanently fastened the panel to the car.

Should get some work done on the valance tonight I hope.
If it makes you feel better your way ahead of me, my lights and wiring harness have been in for months and I haven't powered anything up. My WS wipers are in, sure hope they work... I may just wait til CF9 and bring it over to Daves a month before the CF and finish her up there.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
DaveSanborn said:
Johnny,

For what it's worth, I work in a climate controlled shop and have for the most part unlimited resources. Although I haven't done any troubleshooting, I still haven't figured out why my WS wipers aren't working....

Dave
And that makes me extremely jealous.. :D I have 1' on each side of my car, some tools, missing some sockets.. ;) Doing alright for never having sent the car out (Well, my home sandblasting plan went awry.. Sadly enough, the 'pro' was more awry and ended up causing me tons more work).

I'm going to give myself a little pat on the back for my troublshooting skills, as well as this place, because, well, this project would have sank a loooooong time ago. haha

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
that makes me extremely jealous..
My point wasn't to make you jealous, but instead, proud of what you've accomplished.

Keep up the great work!

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts