Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law has a 68 cal special with a stock 289 and a C4. Even though his engine seems to be running decently, we've noticed that his car is sluggish upon acceleration. The engine seems to be responding fine to increased throttle, no hesitation or any other fuel/ignition problems, but there is not much torque or power delivered to the rear wheels. A friend of his told him that the symptoms may be indicative of a bad torque converter. Does this sound right to any of you? I've looked in the big factory repair manual, and the replacement procedure doesn't seem to bad (drop the driveshaft, support the tranny on a floor jack, unhook it from the frame and engine and slide it out of the way a bit to get to the converter) but I have been burned before by thinking things would be simple based on that book ! How difficult would it be to do ourselves ? We have no transmission repair experience at all, and we don't have the equipment to pull the engine and tranny or any thing major like that. If it is the converter, is it worth upgrading to a higher stall speed converter, or is that only worthwhile on a high HP motor ?

TIA,
Darin

68 coupe - Soon to be daily driver (I hope!)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Try power-braking the car with a tach-dwell meter or tachometer hooked up....tell us the stall rpm...

Pull the trans dipstick and look at the fluid color and smell it...tell us what you find...

Tell us about the shift quality and when the trans shifts under both normal throttle and WOT from a standing start....MPH is fine..

Any funny noises like whining or any funny feeling in the car like surging?

Get back to us with some more details...

Given your situation and experience, if it is the trans I'd leave it to a shop...

An 11", 2200 rpm stall converter would be a good replacement if one is required...I've had good luck with TCI products...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Pat. I'll do some investigating and let you know.....

68 coupe - Soon to be daily driver (I hope!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, don't smack me. Not trying to be insulting. but I read about this and thought I'd bring it up. Is this car an automatic? if it is, are you putting it on the green dot? I read a post like this earlier...thought I'd draw a line and see if the green dots connected. I dunno though. I have a manual 3spd. you may try a lube job too.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts