Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is a small block ford louder then a small block chevy? Im not talking about exhuast wise, im talking about valve train wise. I mean, you can definetley hear the rocker arms and such on a sbf, but they dont seem as noticable on a sbc to me. Is this true, or am I just CRAZY?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Are you comparing the early (typical) SBC with stock stamped steel rockers (or some other SBC setup like aftermarket roller rockers) to early non-rail cast rockers, or later rail type SBF cast rockers, or perhaps even later pedestal mounted rockers? Do you mean Windsor or Cleveland style SBFs? IIRC, the first iterations of the SBF valve train were every bit as quiet as any SBC. I do believe that my 85 GT which was the first roller cammed 5.0 is a little noisier than the stock 65 and 67 289s that I have previously owned. The Fastback's 342" engine has a solid roller with roller rockers and I can hardly hear the radio between the valve train and the Flowmaster exhaust.

G

·
0 Posts
Yup.

Every time that I rebuild my 351w and turn the motor over I think I've broken something. Recently I installed new Hedman Headers w/ a really loppy cam, when I started the engine I almost screamed.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
For starters...chevy used a siamesed intake port config

this can affect the sound of the valve train assemblies....

ford used a staggered port config (which is more balanced....)
which will yield more valve train noise....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts