Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temp sending location in the Crossflow engine is only 1/8 NPT. The original 200 temp sender is 3/8 NPT. I can't tap the hole larger, so I need to find a small sender.

Did one of the V8 models with gauges have a small temp sender? If so what year and engine?

Jack Collins
1966 Mustang Coupe
250 Aussie Crossflow / T-5

Visit the Mustang Six Website!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I hope you have a good friend that works at a parts house ;-)

The only US cars that I can recall that use 1/8" NPT temp senders were Chrysler products. A good parts man will be able to look in his identification guide and compare the resistance vs temp of the Chrysler senders to the Ford sender. It's quite posible that they were similar. If the Chrysler sender has less resistance, you can always add a resistor from Radio Shack to the circuit to make it compatible with the Ford gauge.

Of course, if there is enough room, you can always drill and tap the hole to 3/8 NPT or go to an aftermarket electrical temp gauge. Stewart Warner gauges use a 1/8NPT sender and you are expected to use a pipe bushing to make them fit any larger hole.

Hope this helps,

Dave J

My wife says if I buy another Mustang, she's gonna divorce me. I'm sure gonna miss her....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll have to buy the NAPA guy another case of beer!

I suppose I can tap the hole larger, but i'd rather not start drilling on my irreplaceable head.

Here's a picture. Directly in front of the sensor is the hole. Obviously too small. To the right are the EFI coolant temp sensor and heater hose fittings. If necessary, I suppose I could tee the sensor into the heater hose line.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/mustangsix/sensor.jpg

Jack Collins
1966 Mustang Coupe
250 Aussie Crossflow / T-5

Visit the Mustang Six Website!

G

·
0 Posts
On the 289 ford switched to the larger sender sometime during the 65 model year. I think the 64.5
V8 motor has a small sender. Go to the auto parts store of your choice and look in the parts book.
or just ask to see one.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000

1 - 4 of 4 Posts