Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 Coup and this is my first go a classic. It is in good shape just needs a bit of TLC. Anyway on to my questions.

1)The caps on my valve covers seem to be blowing what I think is too much smoke. The cover is a custom chrome type not stock. Is this a sign of bad things to come? I have had the car for only one week and don't know the oil burn rate. There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust. Any ideas?

2) When the car is idling for say 10-15 min the engine temp is getting close to the "H" end of the idiot gauge. I still need to check out the thermostat, water pump, hoses and the radiator. Is there anything else I should look at?
The engine is very strong and does not over heat when moving down the road.

Thanks,
C

Life is a bowl of soup. Stir it up once in a while....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When you say blowing smoke, do you mean when you take the oil cap off or is it coming out around the cap? A slight amount is probably nothing to worry about (is your pcv system hooked up?do you have a pcv system?) if you're not burning any oil, fouling your plugs or have any compression problems.

As far as the temperature, start with the easy stuff. Drain the coolant, pull the thermostat housing and replace with a nice low temp one (180 or so), then refill your radiator with a fresh 50/50. If you still have high heating problems and your water pump is pumping away (with the car cold, you can hold onto the radiator hose and when the thermostat opens you'll feel the surging coolant thru the hose), then you may want to have your radiator checked out by a radiator shop. It could be corroded, a bad cap seal, or leaking.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there is no PVC system intalled. As far as the amount of smoke I guess the relative amount is similar to light exhaust smoke. There is what looks like a filter in the cap. However I don't think it is replacable. Can I soak it in a parts cleaning solution? might that help?It also may be coming from around the rubber seal that the cap sets in.

Thanks for the Eng temp info. Seems like I'm heading down the path ending at the radiator.

Do you know if there was a larger radiator available for the '66? I'm going to add AC in the next couple of months and am concerned the AC will further add to the temp issues.

Thanks,
C

Life is a bowl of soup. Stir it up once in a while....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by yng_at_heart on 04/19/01 11:11 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm no 66 expert, but I believe that the radiators that came with the HiPo's were of better cooling capacity. Even if they didn't, there are many aftermarket choices out there (modine makes a good radiator) that you can get something nice that will keep you nice and cool.

Since you have no PCV system that amount of smoke seems about right - with a pcv system you wouldn't see anything because the carb/intake vacuum would be sucking them back in. With the cap on you shouldn't see anything, so I would definitely try replacing the seal at the cap first. As far as the filter in the cap, I have seen them before and have never quite figured out their purpose...

When you add AC you will end up overheating if you're already pushing the upper end of the temp spectrum now. Look into a 4 row radiator with a low end thermostat, and you could even add some water wetter to the coolant and you should be fine.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Regarding a/c & radiator. Also add fan shroud. AC package may come with different fan and shroud. NPD (National Parts Depot) has a daily driver AC setup for the 66 thats not to bad to install. Comes with a Sanden compressor which takes the new R134, much quiter that the original systems. Installed on my 66 vert and love it.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

1 - 5 of 5 Posts