Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmm... just changed my oil, Valvoline MaxLife SAE 10W-40. After I was done I started the engine and about 15 seconds later light colored smoke started coming out of the passenger side near the PCV valve. I've done a lot of oil changes and never seen this before, whats up?

I let it run for another 15 seconds and smoke was still coming out.
/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
thats oil burning,i sometimes spill oil on the cover but if your valve covers get hot then the oil burns off of it or the pcv grommet is worn and leaking. i would think of anything else but thats a heavy oil so it shouldn't burn up that easy. im kinda stumped now that i think of what could cause that, woops sorry im a bigger problem than the oil."man i left the keys in the CAR"

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't working on that side of the car when changing the oil, so there was none spilled.

The valve covers and gaskets are just a couple months old, so I'm sure its not that either.

It doesn't appear to be coming from the PCV valve, I cant locate the origin.

It has me worried though. I don't see how the car could heat up enough in 15-30 seconds to burn something externally. Yesterday I was in that area checking the transmission fluid level, but I cant see any fluid anywhere.

One other thing... I added a fuel treatment about 2 full tanks ago.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
check your PCV valve for blockage and the small filer attached for oil stains.

Could be you just need to replace an old PCV valve and the gases it ussually captures aren't able to go through it anymore

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Perhaps you over filled the engine? If you over fill and engine, it will smoke. The smoke comming from the side of the valve cover could be a sign of a exhaust or header gasket leak.... Just a thought.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is probably a stupid suggestion, but did you spill even a little amount of transmission fluid when you were checking it? It burns pretty quickly, and may be the source of your smoke. If it is tranny fluid, it will burn off quickly, and your problem will be over. Good luck!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was it! Fell pretty stupid about it, but at least now I know what burnt transmission fluid smells like. Must have dripped on the header. Looked as if it was coming from the valve cover.

Live and learn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts