Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SN65 website

I have been following their progress for about the last year, anyone else find it interesting? He posts almost daily progress updates. These guys are very talented fabricators. Make sure to click on "project Journal on the left side which lists all the months and all their progress. This is going to be one heck of a car when it's done. I'm sure there are people out there that will have their negative comments about what these guys have done but I like it. I've seen a few people post about them here in the past but nothing recent, it's painted now and being put back together.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I've been following it as well. I agree - these guys have a lot of ambition and talent.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not my car (I wish it was) but I think the yellow is a Factory 2003 Mustang Cobra yellow but I could be wrong. I'm sure the paint information is posted somewhere in their updates. I didn't like the yellow at first but now that the car is getting put together I'm starting to like it.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
... I'm sure there are people out there that will have their negative comments about what these guys have done ...
The rims are boring and there aren't enough cup holders.

Other than that the car is awesome. A monumental project that is coming together quite well. "Screaming Yellow" is probably the most appropriate color for this beast. Maybe someday my '65 will be half the car this one is - - wait a second - - it IS half a car......

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Makes me want a yellow fastback! What a great color for that car.

Did they start with a wrecked Cobra? Or did they cut apart a perfect car?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think it's the coolest damn custom I have ever seen. The best of everything. The only thing I do not like about the build is they started with a perfectly good cobra instead of a crashed one. I will be helping a friend install one of those motors in a fastback real soon, but we are using a Mustang II kit and stock rear suspenison with a 9".

BTW: My buddy paid 12k for the Cobra drive train.

Lstar

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
If you read up on it, the reason they used an "OK" cobra instead of a wrecked one is because what they were going for was the chassis of an 03 and the body of a 65, so really, a lot of the car is the 03 with a lot of "tweaking" to get a 65 shell to fit over it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You can do alot with pure cubic dollars.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'd just like to see some pics/instructions/parts on installing a DOHC in an early Mustang. Yea, I know the shock towers gotta go, so be gone with them! :chainsaw:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My friend does insurance appraisals and ended up at this shop. He's a Mustang guy as well. He saw this car in person and couldn't believe how awesome it was. I guess that they want to unveil it a SEMA.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can do alot with pure cubic dollars.
Actually, the reason we went this way was because it was the cheep way to go (as far as parts are concerned).

We priced out the project using the mustang two front end, the Cobra drive train, etc... and our cost for materials came to about 55K. On top of that we still had to buy the 65 fastback and retrofit all the systems together.

The Cobra cost us about 30K and the 65 about 6K. Between both cars we had everything we needed to build the project. Granted, we had to but all the assorted resto parts you would normally buy for restoring a "fair" example. Also, we did decide to upgrade certain aspects of the build (suspension, etc...) while we had everything apart.

If you want to talk to someone who has seen the car, just get in touch with Mr double K. He was out here a couple of weeks ago. I think he would give you an honest appraisal of the work we are doing.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts