Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a Sn95 swap to my 67 mustang and being a broke college student, I,m tring to get as cheap as possible. I have some questions. I found Mustangs steve and Vintage Venom that make the brackets/kits.

Vintage Mustang: Cobra Brake & Wheel Kits — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits

VV kit has spacers included and longer studs for the spacers. Are thease required to run my Torque thrust M 0mm offset 4 1/2 backspacing? Could I just not use the spacer and keep the original lenght studs? This kit would come with everything I would need but the M/C, and Prop valve.

http://www.mustangst[URL="http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html"]eve.com/cobrabrakes.html[/URL]

Buy Ford Racing Parts - Special Edition Bullitt Mustang Front Calipers=

Mustangs steve has the brackets, M/C, and Prop Valve. For right around $360 and I found a set of calipers from ford racing, but no banjo bolts and hoses. I can get a set of rotors off ebay. The problem with this is that the calipers are powered coated with the running horse. I would want the calipers to say COBRA or nothing.

What bore size m/c should I use? 15/16 or 1 inch?
What kit would fit my rims?
What is the cheapest kit?

ANy info with other build will greatly help.

The

·
Registered
353 Posts
What bore size m/c should I use? 15/16 or 1 inch?
What kit would fit my rims?
What is the cheapest kit?
On the Baer setup (2x38mm PBR fronts, single-piston 1LE Camaro PBR rears, 12in cut-down Z51 'Vette rotors) I have on my '65 I'm going with a 1 1/16" MC but I can't tell you how it works yet because the car's not finished pending some electrical work; it's basically the same brake setup I had on my '89 Fox when it was a street car and worked well there but there may be differences in the pedal mechanical ratios, we'll see. The Cobra front calipers have 40mm pistons, while the Cobra rears are tiny little things, single 32mm? Can't remember exactly.

What diameter are your wheels? Unless they're 17s the 13in rotor setups like those are NOT going to clear no matter what. If they are, the PBR calipers are fairly friendly in terms of profile in front of the rotor but the Cobra rotors have a very shallow hat; I'm guessing you need about 3/8in clearance outboard from the wheel mating surface.

I have another car (non-Mustang, but for caliper-clearance purposes it won't matter) with that rotor/caliper combo on it and can measure tomorrow if no one else comes up with a number for you.

As for price - buy what fits best, don't try to squeeze the last $40 out of the project only to stumble over a dozen little issues.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If you will have manual brakes 1+1/16 is too big, 1" will give you a fairly stiff pedal. 15/16" will be just about right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for price - buy what fits best, don't try to squeeze the last $40 out of the project only to stumble over a dozen little issues.
So true! You have no idea.

I have Found a kit with Mustang steve and ford racing. All together Brackets, Rotors, Calipers, pads, hoses, M/C (1inch bore), and Prop valve. The calipers say COBRA on them and all for $900 shipped!

Ford Racing M-2300-R

I will reuse my OE hub with new bearings, seal, and studs. Still kinda thinking about the M/C using the 1 inch insted of the 15/16. Mustang steve said I would be happier with the 1 inch. Not sure thou

1 - 7 of 7 Posts