Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I know I shouldn't have piled up that little pile of cans n boxes n stuff against the fence. Well now theres a skunky stinky odor emanating from this general area but it seems to move around. I'm thinking snake. First, what kind of snake makes an odor like that? I've been told chicken snake or king snake. Also, what can I spray in there before I clean up this mess to make sure the snake is in some other zone. I don't really care to meet up with it but I will have my .22 rifle handy just in case. I was thinking of shooting it with gasoline in a spray bottle. That would surely run it out? Somebody told me something about sulpher or lyme?

G

·
0 Posts
They don't like to crawl through lime, but if it isn't gone when you put it out, they will be there when you move everything. If I suspect a snake is hiding somewhere like that, I usually just use a hard rake, and a hoe to move everything until I find it, then if it is aggresive, or poisionous, I will kill it, otherwise I let it move on.
Happy Hunting.
Dan

·
Registered
419 Posts
Never heard of a live snake smelling bad. Now a dead copperhead will stink to high heaven.

The rattlesnake hunter spray gas into dens in the winter to get the rattlers to come out. Something about the gas fumes and snakes smelling sensors make them bail out of dens.

If you have a snake problem, get you an ole mouser cat or some guineas and your snake problem will end.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would think the odor, if it is an animal, is more likely a rat or mouse than a shake. Or perhaps a bird.

At one of my lawn care properties this week, I knocked a hole to drain a foam cooler the previous tenant had left behind. Shrimp that had been in there about 3 months came pouring out. THAT was a stench.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Snakes do have a peculiar odor - but not quite like you describe. A Copperhead smells a lot like over-ripened cucumbers to me, because I would sometimes get a very similar smell in the garden and think there was a snake nearby. Snakes do have a certain smell about them, but you have to be pretty close to detect it - usually closer than you want to be.
You can "gas" rattlesnakes as described above to get them out of their hole, but I don't think it would work on a brushpile unless they had a nest or den in there.
You probably have some kind of dead critter in there. If you are going to use a .22 rifle instead of a shotgun as a precaution, I would get some snake shot for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts