Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The snorkel on my 351w;
I am buing a new shaker assembly w/ aircleaner, the new fiberglass ones. My original one is beat pretty bad. The snorkel that hangs off the original is not on the repro but I can cut the repro to fit my snorkel on. What in the HECK does that thing do?? I have heard it called hot air intake, but why would you wanna put hot air back in your engine??????
In a nutshell, besides orginallity, Do I need that thing?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Besides originality? No... I took mine off my ol' six cylinder and never had a problem!

It's a smog-equipment goody...

·
Registered
384 Posts
The snorkel and "stove pipe" running down to the exhaust manifold gives the motor some warm air to breathe when it is cold outside, then it closes off when normal operating temp is reached, opening the snorkel to engine compartment air. You might not notice it in a warm climate, but here in Denver during the fall and winter, you sure do. I have an open element air cleaner and it takes forever for my Windsor to smooth out if the temperature is much under 50 degrees.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Your reproduction shaker will not have functional flapper valve unless you have one or a midplate to replace or add to the rebop item. Also, you can add your snorkle for "looks" without opening up the base, just screw it on. That way it looks right, and it will be full time ram air. Thats what I did, but I had intended to sell my non ram air cleaner, so I bought the rebop snorkle too...it was the worst peice in the group. The thickness was all off on the seams and you could see the glass real well on the inside, so I used mine of the other aircleaner. If you have your cast scoop, use it instead of the glass one, as the glass grill is very fragile. Other wise, this is the best way to fix your carb issue..I saw your other post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts