Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was reading through an article on the AOD swap and they mention that with a kit, I can use my old shifter for the AOD and that the Overdrive will just be the "Snow Gear" position on the shifter.

Where's the Snow Gear on a C4? I know it's supposed to help the car start moving in icy conditions but what's its position on the shifter?

·
Registered
20,059 Posts
You may not have it on your 67. The snow gear was the NON green dot drive. The trans would start off in 2nd gear. A lot of the auto from that time did that.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, okay that explains it. Thanks, I was sitting in the car this morning playing with my shifter and couldn't figure it out. LOL

But now I wonder how it would work swapping in the AOD and keeping my old shifter. The current shifter has 3 Drive positions but the AOD would obviously need 4. Anyone else care to enlighten me? I'd hate to think the shifter would sit in a "limbo" position between N and D.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a 91 Mustang Gt AOD trans and it had a shifter that had only 1st the D then OD then N. So this is a 3 postition shifter. You won't need a 4 postition shifter. The GM AOD have 1 2 D OD.This makes it realy nice because no one has a clue that you have an AOD. These also have a lower 1st gear than a C-4.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Denver is correct, although the od is 4 gears the shifter has only 3 detents in the tranny..1 d and od. Once your aod is installed you will put it in D or 3 which ever your shifter bezel has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts