Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 years restoring my 69 SCJ I’m just about to be finished, just the seats need to be redone; so I was just installing my new TMI seat covers and foams and found my driver side seat backrest frame is so badly rusted it needs to be replaced. Anybody knows where I can buy used mustang parts? I’ve been searching ebay but all I can find are seats for 1970 and the locking lever is not in the same place. Dynacorn only makes repros of the 70 type seats.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I believe a local guy can surely fab the frame etc you'd need, and it wouldn't be seen as it is covered by the foam and upholstery, so as long as it's made safe I would rock on. I have had to re-weld some broken seat frames before and added a little corner brace to make them safer and stronger while I was at it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It would help to know a location. You don't list a region, state, city or other in your profile

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
It would really help if we knew where you lived. I know a number of places around the country that have been selling Mustang parts for years. 69 seat backs may be particularly tough to find though. Are they High Back or Low Back? The low backs have been sought after to use in 68 mustangs to add head rests. EBay has a number of places selling repro low backs for 69. But only high backs for 70.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe a local guy can surely fab the frame etc you'd need, and it wouldn't be seen as it is covered by the foam and upholstery, so as long as it's made safe I would rock on. I have had to re-weld some broken seat frames before and added a little corner brace to make them safer and stronger while I was at it.
Well all the seats are rusty but the driver side backrest seems to have been wet for a long time so it is just too far gone, I know it is not visible but I would KNOW it’s under there, not cool.

Sorry I didn’t state my location, I need a place where I can order by phone as I’m in México about 200 miles south of Texas.

Jon

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
If the rest of your seat frame look like that pic you just posted... They are toast. Time to look for some good used frames...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ll try calling the sources you all helpfully shared, I did sandblast the rest of the frames and they are ok, just this one looks like would disappear if sandblasted or acid dipped, it’s very thin and I can break it with my hands/fingers. The only frames available new are for 70 Mustangs and the release mechanism is different in design and location so I have to find a good used one.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
After 5 years restoring my 69 SCJ I’m just about to be finished, just the seats need to be redone; so I was just installing my new TMI seat covers and foams and found my driver side seat backrest frame is so badly rusted it needs to be replaced. Anybody knows where I can buy used mustang parts? I’ve been searching ebay but all I can find are seats for 1970 and the locking lever is not in the same place. Dynacorn only makes repros of the 70 type seats.
I saw a Craigslist post for 69 -70 high backs for sale in Decatur, Georgia...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I saw a Craigslist post for 69 -70 high backs for sale in Decatur, Georgia...
Can you link the ad? If @mexicruiser can't use them, I can.

I'm in a worse boat than mexicruiser in that I need the bottom for the passenger's side and the full seat for the driver's side for a '69.

Obviously, first dibs to mexicruiser.

Allen

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you link the ad? If @mexicruiser can't use them, I can.

I'm in a worse boat than mexicruiser in that I need the bottom for the passenger's side and the full seat for the driver's side for a '69.

Obviously, first dibs to mexicruiser.

Allen
I’ll contact the seller today and let you know, tks.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I’ll contact the seller today and let you know, tks.
I reached out via email yesterday just trying to get pictures of what they have and as per usual with a craigslist add with only an email address, I've heard nothing back. If I do, I will get with you so I can send the pictures to you.

Good luck, I hope they answer.

EDIT: Didn't notice the ad actually does have a phone number. Again, good luck. If it's not what you need let me know...

Allen

1 - 20 of 40 Posts