21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Those seats look good! I just talked to the owner but he doesn’t have a paypal acct so we don’t know how to send him the money. He will look into it tomorrow but would prefer to sell locally,
I have a PO box in Laredo TX so shipping would be within the US.
This would be great if it works out! Thanks Budstoy!
Did you hear anything from the seats in Georgia? I actually got an email from the Georgia seller and he is going to send pictures Friday/Saturday.

Allen

·
Registered
225 Posts
Those seats look good! I just talked to the owner but he doesn’t have a paypal acct so we don’t know how to send him the money. He will look into it tomorrow but would prefer to sell locally,
I have a PO box in Laredo TX so shipping would be within the US.
This would be great if it works out! Thanks Budstoy!
Hopefully you can convince him to ship them. Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Did you hear anything from the seats in Georgia? I actually got an email from the Georgia seller and he is going to send pictures Friday/Saturday.

Allen
Tried calling that one and didn’t get an answer, not by email either.

Focusing on the one Budstoy shared, trying to see if he would ship, some guys just don’t want to go thru the hassle.

I only need the driver seat backrest, would you be interested in the other stuff?

Jon

·
Registered
5,204 Posts

Allen
Tried calling that one and didn’t get an answer, not by email either.

Focusing on the one Budstoy shared, trying to see if he would ship, some guys just don’t want to go thru the hassle.

I only need the driver seat backrest, would you be interested in the other stuff?

Jon
Yes. Could get a bit confusing for the seller in that case though. Let me know how your conversations go and maybe we can out something together.

Allen

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just saw this on Facebook about a listing of parts for 69 and 70 mustang. I did not check all that he had listed for sale on eBay. His eBay name is mustangjoe_69. I hope you find what you need.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes. Could get a bit confusing for the seller in that case though. Let me know how your conversations go and maybe we can out something together.

Allen
Well this didn’t go thru, the seller just explained the driver seat is a 70 and the passenger is a 69, I didn’t see it at first I thought it was a 69 seat with a 70 cover.

I can get 70 seats locally but the backrest is different.

Thanks Budstoy for your help and I’m sorry I didn’t find this out earlier.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Well this didn’t go thru, the seller just explained the driver seat is a 70 and the passenger is a 69, I didn’t see it at first I thought it was a 69 seat with a 70 cover.

I can get 70 seats locally but the backrest is different.

Thanks Budstoy for your help and I’m sorry I didn’t find this out earlier.
If I get pictures of the other seats (Georgia), I'll post them and see if it's what you need...

Allen

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
^
^^
^^^^
^^^^^^
^
^
This is why VMF is great.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Can you link the ad? If @mexicruiser can't use them, I can.

I'm in a worse boat than mexicruiser in that I need the bottom for the passenger's side and the full seat for the driver's side for a '69.

Obviously, first dibs to mexicruiser.

Allen
I just got a pair of front seats on ebay! The restoration will continue and hopefully be finished by the end of August.
I’m only going to use the driver side backrest so if you are interested in the passenger side and driver side bottom send me a pm, you would have to continue fishing for the driver backrest unless you want the rusty piece I’m replacing. No seat tracks though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FYI …

A '70 Seat back could have worked for a '69 provided the '69 latch hardware was all still useable. I swapped '69 seat back latch mechanisms into '70 Mach 1 Highbacks back in the 80's because I did not like the levers down low as it took two hands to operate (where you can unlatch & hinge forward a '69 with one hand). That and I wanted to keep my '69 to appear correct after the swap.

Just had to drill the 3 upper holes for the lever using the old low-back seat frames as guides and weld a nut down below for the lower latch bolt. Some extra washers were added to the lower latch bolt and it looks and works perfect.

'69 Seat Frames had some design flaws that caused them to crack or break at the hinge points (recall or TSB was issued, and I believe you can still get the repair kits from Ford) , so the '70 seat frames are a better starting point anyway.

Completely rebuilt these seats last summer and took some pics while they were apart.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I just got a pair of front seats on ebay! The restoration will continue and hopefully be finished by the end of August.
I’m only going to use the driver side backrest so if you are interested in the passenger side and driver side bottom send me a pm, you would have to continue fishing for the driver backrest unless you want the rusty piece I’m replacing. No seat tracks though.
I received my portion of the seats that I needed from @mexicruiser today. I appreciate the help/heads up/everything and this could not have worked out any better (for both of us)!!

It's going to give me something to do this weekend also.

Allen

p.s. I'm going to have a passenger seat back (high back) that I'm not going to need if someone is in need of one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
FYI …

A '70 Seat back could have worked for a '69 provided the '69 latch hardware was all still useable. I swapped '69 seat back latch mechanisms into '70 Mach 1 Highbacks back in the 80's because I did not like the levers down low as it took two hands to operate (where you can unlatch & hinge forward a '69 with one hand). That and I wanted to keep my '69 to appear correct after the swap.

Just had to drill the 3 upper holes for the lever using the old low-back seat frames as guides and weld a nut down below for the lower latch bolt. Some extra washers were added to the lower latch bolt and it looks and works perfect.

'69 Seat Frames had some design flaws that caused them to crack or break at the hinge points (recall or TSB was issued, and I believe you can still get the repair kits from Ford) , so the '70 seat frames are a better starting point anyway.

Completely rebuilt these seats last summer and took some pics while they were apart.

Doug
Thank you for the info Doug, I just figured if I was going to pay for the part I might as well buy the correct one, but this mod is definitely the best option if you already have 70 seats on a 69 car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well got the seats ready to install but I wanted to bolt the center console in first to avoid having the seats in the way. Well I wish the TMI dealer who sold me the Sport R covers would have informed me these interfere with the center console. What to do next? Just squeeze the thing in? Ditch the console? Cut the armest off?

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Seats installed

I finished installing the 69 seats with the TMI foam and covers, they look really good but as others have stated there are issues with the concept, the foam is thicker and harder than the originals and this causes a couple of problems:
a) the seat back pushes you further forward, this causes the seat bottom to become very short, there is only space for your butt and most of your legs don’t have support. It also requires you to move the seat further back, so tall drivers might run out of space.
b) the seat bottom pushes you further up, this reduces your headroom and brings your legs closer to the steering wheel.
c) the side bolsters are wider, and make contact with the center console (and the door panels in a lesser amount), you won’t be able to open the lid and I imagine some wear will happen to the seat covers in the long run.

At 5’9” I am not tall and because I am also very thin I find these issues to be tolerable, my head does not contact the headliner. My son is 6’ (also very thin) and his head did touch the headliner, after cutting the plastic seat back stops to recline the seat back and moving the seat bottom all the way back on the tracks he fit ok.

For me the only issue is the seat bottoms are now short, this looks and feels funny in my opinion.
For anyone taller than 6’ seat track extenders would be necessary and if you are also a bit heavy I honestly believe these seats would make you unconfortable.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts