Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sanding, sanding and more sanding.

Working from the firewall foreword.

Every time I think that I am getting ready for a final primer coat I decide that an area or two needs a little bit more work.

I pulled the hood today, so the apron behind the hinges needs some prep work.

Since the hood is off, I may as well do the area from the cowl down to where the strut brace bolts on.

With the hood off I can do a better sanding job behind the steering box.

I laid on my back and sanded the underside of the suspension and frame rails, may as well do that before the brakes go on.

Two weeks ago my plan was to have the engine bay paint done by the end of today.

Now my plan is to be ready to prime by Monday morning and be ready to paint by Wednesday morning.

I also dont think I bought enough paint. I have three cans of Krylon Industral Semi Flat Black. For both sides of the core support, both aprons and the firewall, I think I will need five cans.

At least I got the wheel wells done.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think you are doing a great job. It's tedious work but at the end you'll be happy.
AND you'll look at something wondering if you could have done it better.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Looks great and I hope to see you on the road when you're done.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Good work and a super clean rust free car! I tell all my rust belt friends, out west or down south saves money in the end.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Looking good! After all that work i'd suggest the 2K spray cans from Eastwood or something... Will give a more durable finish in the end. :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
99% done.

I give myself a A for effort and a C+ for results.

Mechanically removing grime, paint and rust is labor consuming and not 100% effective. Media blasting is the way to go.

Painting with rattle cans is ok for small projects but the engine bay with so many surfaces really needs a air gun. it is hard to control orange peel with a rattle can. Im tempted to wet sand 1000 grit in a few days, but its not really necessary, by the time everything is installed, who is going to notice some orange peel in a few corners?

The Krylon Industrial 1613 is excellent paint and goes on very well. Touchup is easy and blends in very well.

Im moving to the disc brake install and letting the paint set up a few days before I start reassembly of the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Looks great, don’t be so picky cause you are right, you won’t see it.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Disc install is 75% done. I wanted to be done with it today.

I had both rotors on and was standing at the driver wheel with the caliper in my hand and I started thinking how nice the caliper would look painted.

So I gave it a coat of alumnablast and it looks really nice.

Driver side is done, passenger side tomorrow.

I had to soak the frame bracket that connects the hose to the hardline in evaporust and give it a shot of clearcoat, so Im not ready to install plumbing yet.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
678 Posts
You can do a shoddy job now, and regret it every time you look at the car.
Your time is well spent, and for me, the satisfaction of seeing the panel get better and better, was worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts