Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my foot board is rusted and I will be cutting it off and welding in a replacement panel as high up as I can get, so I figured while I am in there I would add a torque box to the drivers side. Then I will be replacing the one piece floor pan and frame extensions under the seat.

I had already planned to use a set of sub-frame connectors but I guess it would not hurt to add this box since I am already there, I have no plans to put one on the passenger side since that toe toe-board is fine.

Will this help out or will the SFC's take care of most of the twist? I would prefer to have the car look stockish underneath except for the SFC's but I would add a box if it would be of benefit in conjunction with the connectors.

Should I get a single piece box or a two piece box for this job? Do I want convertible boxes for a 65?
Does anyone have a decent pic or two of a project like this? I really dont know where it welds to and how to trim the toe-board etc...

I read the article on-line at mustang monthly but the pics leave a little out and are kinda small etc..

Thanks.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
No, use the 67-70 coupe box. Use the two-piece box, it's easier to install.

This is a convertible, but attachment of the box is identical:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would add TQ boxes to both sides, it will help stiffen it up quite a bit, there is a reason they started putting them on both sides. one piece for the pass side might be better since you don't have the toe board out, i would imagine you would have to pretty much line it and weld together a 2 piece before installing anyways. the one piece i used popped right in. u said u are also changing the floor supports, u have to do this first, u'll see y once u get into it, try getting the old one off or on with the box on, good luck. for some pics check out my sig link, it will give u a pretty good idea of y you need to do the support first. page 5 for the drivers side page 24 pass side.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Install a torque box on both sides and do SFCs. The torque box will do just as much as the SFCs to tighten up your unibody, but in a different way. You need/want both.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
not trying to hijack this topic but whats a torque box?
A torque box is a triangular metal box that gets welded underneath the toe-boards between the rocker panel and the outside edge of the front frame section. The box makes a right angle, with the sloped side being plug or spot welded flat up underneath the toe-board. Then it gets welded to the frame rail and the rocker, and the result is a 90 degree bend in the front of the car rather than the gap underneath the 45 degree toe board.

67 mustang torque box image by JEE740 on Photobucket

To the left-side of that photo, you can see torque boxes on both sides. One has been primered yellow, the other was just installed and is shiny metal.

·
Registered
757 Posts
so rather than a < its more of an L? That makes sense.

and this significantly increases frame strength?

I have sub frame connector's installed on my car already is it worth putting these on?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
so rather than a < its more of an L? That makes sense.

and this significantly increases frame strength?

I have sub frame connector's installed on my car already is it worth putting these on?
Yes. Absolutely. You'll feel it in the corners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts