Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After procrastinating most of last year, I sucked it up and pulled the T-10 last night.

The clutch has been chattering on take off in 1st since I put the thing in, there was a "bang" when the car finally started, and lately, the clutch pedal would not return to "home" without a nudge underneath from the toe of my shoe.

Got the Cast-iron T-10 out after much cursing and contortion. Pulled the clutch and flywheel for replacement tonight.

What I found:

The upper starter bolt is apparently too short, as it was very loose, and came out by hand ("Bang" on startup?)

One of the bolts holding the isolator to the transmission was also loose. This car must be shaking itself to pieces.

The flywheel face was a uniform grayish-black. I bought a newly CNC'd flywheel from O'reilly for $35 (*+$80 core), so that's ready to go back in.

I'm using a new Diaphragm pressure plate, rather than the 3-finger. That's what CJ's sold me (Twice, as it turns out). The throwout bearing looked fine, as does the input shaft. I was filthy after fighting the T-10, so decided to to the re-install beginning tonight.

Gear oil not only smells foul, it tastes foul.

That freaking T-10 is Heavy and Awkward! This is the 3rd time I've had it out. The fact that I'm using a Hurst shifter, which doesn't allow the handle to come off, makes things even more interesting...

After this gets buttoned up, I'll tackle the problems with the DS door guts (lock and remote mirror). Then maybe a new Inspection tag.\

More details as they become available...

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
You'll love the diaphram clutch compared to the three-fingered version; I made the change and the difference is night and day for smoothness.

You may have to replace the throw-out bearing, as they have different designs for diaphram and three-fingered clutches, IIRC.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
napaguy said:
Please tell me you changed the throw out bearing and pilot bushing....please?
+1, what Pat said. Cheap insurance while you have it apart!
I'd even suggest a roller pilot bearing.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
napaguy said:
Please tell me you changed the throw out bearing and pilot bushing....please?
I didn't change my pilot bushing, but then again, it showed very little signs of wear and the engine had been completely redone about 10k miles ago.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changing the throw out bearing, of course.

Pilot bushing, not so much. Only 700 miles on the one in there.

CJ's Clutch kit comes with both, though.

Did break off a Pressure plate bolt in the new flywheel, though. Snapped with no warning, and very little pressure. Maybe I'll change the Pilot bushing if I have to take the flywheel off, again.

I put new bolts in the flywheel to crank, and looked around for PP bolts, but couldn't find any.

Word to the wise! Change all of those torqued bolts.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Burn-Bros said:
QUICK! Nows your chance to install a T-5...
Got one laying around, with a hydraulic throw out bearing?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Your clutch pedal may be sticking because the bushings in the pedal support (under the dash) are shot.

If so, do yourself a favor - pull the pedal support and send it to Mustang Steve. For $85 he will weld in roller bearings. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
68RCodeConv said:
Your clutch pedal may be sticking because the bushings in the pedal support (under the dash) are shot.
Definitely on my "must check" list. First I have to get the broken bolt out of the flywheel...<sigh>

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
What I did with my worn out pedal support was swap in one from an automatic, since they don't wear out like the 4spd ones do. Easy swap if you don't want to go with the roller bearing unit and pretty easy to find in most parts cars.
Happy belated Fat Tuesday. Had some Abita, crawfish and gumbo last night. I sure miss the food from Louisiana....

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If the shaft and bushing holes are not damaged, the plastic bushings for the pedal support only cost a few $$ and should be stocked at a local Mustang place if you have one. That said, I replaced my pedal support with one that used roller bearings some time ago. It is great. I'll agree with the rest, the diaphram pressure plate is nice. You'll notice it. My thought about the TO bearing and pilot bearing is to use them if they were in the kit. If a bushing was included forget it and get a bearing. They live a lot longer. Lastly, if one bolt broke upon installation of the pressure plate, it is likely that the rest are weak, too. Best to replace them all with new Grade 8s. Sounds like you've been under the car enough.....

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VictorII said:
They live a lot longer. Lastly, if one bolt broke upon installation of the pressure plate, it is likely that the rest are weak, too. Best to replace them all with new Grade 8s. Sounds like you've been under the car enough.....
Check++ on that. 8 new bolts (Grade 8) ready to re-install.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VictorII said:
If the shaft and bushing holes are not damaged, the plastic bushings for the pedal support only cost a few $$ and should be stocked at a local Mustang place if you have one. That said, I replaced my pedal support with one that used roller bearings some time ago. It is great. I'll agree with the rest, the diaphram pressure plate is nice. You'll notice it. My thought about the TO bearing and pilot bearing is to use them if they were in the kit. If a bushing was included forget it and get a bearing. They live a lot longer. Lastly, if one bolt broke upon installation of the pressure plate, it is likely that the rest are weak, too. Best to replace them all with new Grade 8s. Sounds like you've been under the car enough.....
Somewhere in the garage I have a bushing kit. I'll have to scrounge that up. Of course, I'll need to pull the bracket. I think I have a spare bracket, too.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Do yourself a favor and let Mustang Steve weld some roller bushings into your pedal support. Only cost $85 including shipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts