Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pop suggested not to replace the valve springs in my 289, even with new stock weight. he thinks it may be too much for my stock cam. but. Its showing no signs of flatness yett. in driveability anyway.
Should I get new springs ? or not? .

I think new stock would just be more reliable ? right?
Steve
Thank you all for the great info. im, sure the job will be a breeze now.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I preach the "if it ain't broke" saying, but I can't say I follow it.

How about this. "Dad, I think you are right about the cam, so lets change it"/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If you have plans to change the cam in the future, you may want to live with your valve springs and save your money so that you can buy valve springs that match an upgraded cam.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Just so I understand...you want to replace your existing valve springs with new ones and DOD (dear old dad) says the greater pressure of the new springs will ruin the cam...is that right?

IME, a stock cam that is functioning well (has significant mileage with no problems) will not be affected by a spring change. It's done all the time when valve jobs are done and heads are bolted back onto existing short blocks.

My question would be why are you contemplating a spring change? Have you been experiencing valve float? Please describe any symptoms that might help me understand your reasons better.....your observations of the engines physical condition and performance would be helpful as well...

Get back to us...

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
If you think the stock springs are weak, shim them up with a .060" valve spring shim. Much cheaper than new valvesprings. With stock cam, no danger of coil bind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts