Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....since I gave the car to my body guy for panel alignment, strip, prime, block, paint (engine compartment, interior metal and exterior) and install the metal Shelby hood scoop. He has the car partially blocked and almost fully in primer right now. We've blasted past three agreed deadlines so far.

In his defense, I'm getting a really good deal on the process and he has a normal job outside this. I've seen smaller/quicker jobs get completed in front of mine that make him some quick $, but its delaying getting my car back.

Working from home March - August and it's killing me not having it here, in warmer months, to work on in my spare time. Trans, engine, instruments, steering column etc etc all done sitting at home awaiting the car.

Does this feel like longer than normal given the situation? Should I ask for the car back as is and paint myself/get someone else to finish? Just wait it out? Argg! He's been paid 3/4 of our agreed price when this started with the signed understanding full payment upon completion. Dunno, guess I have a case of quarantine blues.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,273 Posts
I've seen enough to know that you NEVER pay up front. And while I agree that good, fast and cheap are rarely in the same company, two years seems a bit much. Was a time line discussed beforehand? Have you called and asked about it? What does he say is the hold up?

Reactions: GT_SCODE and Israel

·
Registered
455 Posts
Unfortunately, you gave him most of the money, so not a huge incentive for him to finish, but maybe you can negotiate that last 1/4 down some if he doesn't meet your next agreed upon date (talk to him now and mention the discount).

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talk with him about once a week on it's progress and I've been paying in draws. Gave half up front then a bit here bit there depending on how much he's done. I made a contract and we both sign receipts each time I pay him, but no firm timeline was set at the beginning. It took him a year to do my bosses car (70's BMW 2002) so I knew it would at least go that long. Various reasons why the delay, work/family/sick/etc. I've seen his work and it's really good. Guess another month or two wont kill me at this point.

Thx!

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
You can always renegotiate your contract.

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
With the vast majority of the payment already received and Long ago spent, he has Zero incentive to finish the project.

NO ONE gets paid up front.

Payment leverage for work already performed, keeps workers interested in finishing,.......

When was the last time you saw the car?

·
Registered
512 Posts
My four month build took a little over seven months. Same sort of deal. The guys at the shop would work on it when their schedules allowed. The deal was, I'd pay a few thousand up front and then monthly payments as work progressed. I paid the up front money and then he didn't ask for the balance until he was done. I'd get updates monthly or whenever a significant amount of work was done.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I’m coming up on 8 months myself. As frustrating as it is to not have the car during nice weather and being stuck at home, like you I kinda knew what I was getting into and there was a risk it would be extended. My guy owns a large collision shop and does one classic at a time, for fun, as time allows. The projects that pay his employees come first, and then the Mustang. I am totally cool with that and would rather him take his time and enjoy the project than feel rushed. Luckily we have an agreement that I pay in 30 hour blocks, as the work is done. So I know where my money has gone, at least. The guy is highly respected, and does excellent work. I’ll take the time delay for good work from an honest guy.

If you know the guy and trust him, I say wait it out.

Reactions: GT_SCODE

·
Registered
49 Posts
Two years is quite long my body and paint started in January (2020) and I am just about ready to pick it up post paint (May 2020). To be fair he got the car was fully disassembled and he doesn’t have to reassemble.

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
They call it "paint jail" for a reason.

3/4 up front is nuts. I would have agreed to 1/3 to cover the materials at most. Without that big nut in the basket at the end, he has no incentive. I would have a serious discussion about your expectations that the car be given the priority and finished in a reasonable time. Maybe hang out a carrot that you'll throw him a bonus if he gets it done by x date.

I dropped my car off at the painter and it took two months to the day to finish block, cut in, assemble and spray. He knew I wanted the car for my wedding and with that deadline in mind, he delivered with two weeks for me to get it done.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Tell him you'll come over and do what you can to help speed up the process. If he's the perfectionist you think he is that might get him motivated to finish! You know he'll get it done eventually so you're kind of stuck at this point. If the they open up the track "at work" this summer I'll let you take mine for a cone killing spin!

Reactions: xcelr8

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well, my paint and body work took much longer than anticipated. 3x times longer. However when I finally did get the car it was worth every sleepless night!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts