Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is running this sort of tire and which ones and what size or sizes did you wind up choosing?

Right now I am leaning toward Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires in a 45 series for 17 inch rims. These are ranked similarly to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and the Pirelli PZero Pz4 with each tire having some better and some not better rankings than the other tires. They tend to average out about the same. None of these 3 were tested in winter/snow conditions and are not recommended to be driven in those conditions. I won't be out driving the mustang in the freezing cold and snow but that is rare in my area anyway.

I wanted some decent wet performance even though the car will be mostly summer and mostly dry pavement driven. Considering I'm in far northest Texas it is hard to anticipate when it might get wet. Looking at prices, the Continental is around $170. The Michelin is not available in the rear tire size I plan to run and neither was the Pirelli. The Goodrich GForce Sport Comp 2 is available in my sizes and runs about $166. It was not in the side by side road test comparison with the above 3 mentioned tires because it appears to be in a different if not relatively similar category of tires.

At least I have found a couple different tires that might work. If anyone has any experience with either of these 2 I would be interested in what you have found.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I have almost always run Continental tires on the wife's late model cars for the last 20 years and they have been solid performers at a decent price. I'd call Tire Rack and get their opinion. Thats what I do for street stuff.

In a 300-320 treadwear tire your going to be able to smoke them with that 331until you run out of gas.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have the The Goodrich GForce Sport Comp 2 tires on a small import and the car turns on a dime compared to the factory Continental ExtremeContact Sport. (Maybe the Continentals were without the word 'Extreme"?) Next tires will be Michelin Pilot Sports.

·
Registered
36,200 Posts
I'm running Yokohama Avid Envigor's on my Magnum R/T (18 inch). They've been absolutely fantastic. Best tire I've had yet from the original Conti's, the replacement Michelin's, and the next replacement Coopers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I recommend BFG radial TA. Oh wait... that wasn’t an option... ;)
I had Pirelli P Nero Zeros on my 95 Mustang GT. Only mentioning because i loved them when they were fresh but after a few years they got really hard and had hardly any traction. Make sure you burn that soft rubber up quickly so you don’t waste it like i did with my pirellis!
Rob

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The last time I had my 65 up to 120 mph the Michelins were about $60 each. At that speed the front end gets pretty light. Brian

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
The last time I had my 65 up to 120 mph the Michelins were about $60 each. At that speed the front end gets pretty light. Brian
Puckering light! Thats why I autocross and not track day.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don’t have any that you mentioned.

However, the Pirelli All Seasons I have 235/40/18’s run narrow at 9” section width not 9.25”

I believe that the Michelins run narrow too.

Just food for thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts