Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I wa drivign in my 68 to work today, shifted in my seat, and dang near ended up flipping into the back seat. Apparently, my seat is busted. After driving all day by holding myself up ( a tremendous ab workout by the way!) I was able to dig into it a bit. Not sure if what I found is stock, or if it was added by the PO, but the post that the bracket on the seat back uses to connect to the base was broken clean off. (pictures attached).

1. Was this stock?
2. How might I go about fixing this? Im hoping to not have to buy new seat frames yet.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Not unless you have a mig welder...and even then....It will never be the same..

I'd say that you need a new of a good used '68 bottom seat frame.... That part was actually part of a 1970's Ford Recall. NPD sells the fix..

All the Seat Bottoms are reproduced except the '68 Seat bottom...of course...

You'll probably have to use this NPD part linked below or get a used '68 Seat frame bottom and just transfer your Bottom seat cover to the donor bottom...No brain surgery involved...just work..

1. Yes, It was stock. That weld is normal on the seat pivot.
2. You can get a used seat bottom from somewhere or use the NPD fix below...'68 Repro Seat bottoms are not available.

See here:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/?p=catalog&mode=newsearch&search_str=618c46-2a&parent=1&year=0

:eek:)

Tony K.

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that makes sense. Seems about right that the seat bottom that I'd need isn't reproduced. ;) oh well. I'll take a look at that fix from NPD. I need to redo the seats anyway, so I'm wondering if now is the time to lift them out, get off the old upholstery, put in new foam, service the tracks, etc... just get this seat stuff all out of the way.

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
What's so Special? ?...You say?.... 1969-1970 Highback Bucket Seats are supposed to "Safety Lock" with a Locking "Release Lever" on the side of the seat.. I'm putting money on it that your 1970 Highback Bucket Seats don't correctly "lock" in place.....and I'm not talking about the seat tracks here...

'68-'70 Seat Bottoms have the Special "Catches" for the Seat Locks. '68's is Unique, but '69-'70 is close. Sure, You could use a '65-'67 Seat Bottom, But the seat WOULD NOT lock in place. If you don't care about your Seat Locking in place, You could just use a '65-'67 Seat bottom. In 1968, Ford went to Locking Bucket Seats (and Locking Bench Seats as well) as safety measure so the seats can't fold forward without moving the Locking Release Lever on the side of the seat. The release knob was in the side mid-section of the seat side in '68. Later in '69-'70, The Seat Lock Release Lever was moved to the bottom pivot area of the seat side.

Tony K.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here are the part numbers from Ford for both sides:

Left Seat: Bracket with attaching parts, PN D7ZZ-69618C46-A.
Right Seat: Bracket with attaching parts, PN D7ZZ-69618C47-A.

if you search the internet, there is a site that has pics of the repair process.

They are notorious for this (68-70). I just bought some 1970 highback seats to put in my 67 and got them reasonable because the inner pin was broke off the driver side. Had already been welded once and broke. I used NOS Ford brackets and am doing both sides. I think the LH one is reproduced and readily available.

You can probably snip just a few hog rings and repair the seat and reattach the upholstery. You only have to drill one hole. I'd do this and make sure the seat is working first before I recovered. Then have at it recovering. When doing a temporary repair like this, I use small wire ties to put the seat cover back on and then use hog rings once I'm sure.

JW

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
Well, that makes sense. Seems about right that the seat bottom that I'd need isn't reproduced. ;) oh well. I'll take a look at that fix from NPD. I need to redo the seats anyway, so I'm wondering if now is the time to lift them out, get off the old upholstery, put in new foam, service the tracks, etc... just get this seat stuff all out of the way.

Thanks for the link!
Yep, looks like you have an upcoming seat fix and reupholstering project.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Just an FYI in case you did'nt know... when the 1966 Ford Bronco came out in 1966, It used 1966 Mustang Bucket seats through 1967. When the Mustang changed it's bucket seats in 1968, The Ford Bronco did too, and carried the same 1968 Mustang bucket seats..and kept the same 1968 Mustang Bucket seats all the way up until 1977!...until the Bronco was re-designed in 1978...so there should be never be any shortage of 1968 Mustang Buckets seat since they were in the Ford Bronco until 1977!!! The 1966-1977 Ford Bronco used a very high seat riser so that it could facilitate the use of the Mustang bucket seats for intial 12 year run.

So when Ford did a recall in 1977 for the Faulty seat hinge, The recall wasn't just for the mustang, It was for the 1968-1977 Ford Bronco as well.

Tony K.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an FYI in case you did'nt know... when the 1966 Ford Bronco came out in 1966, It used 1966 Mustang Bucket seats through 1967. When the Mustang changed it's bucket seats in 1968, The Ford Bronco did too, and carried the same 1968 Mustang bucket seats..and kept the same 1968 Mustang Bucket seats all the way up until 1977!...until the Bronco was re-designed in 1978...so there should be never be any shortage of 1968 Mustang Buckets seat since they were in the Ford Bronco until 1977!!! The 1966-1977 Ford Bronco used a very high seat riser so that it could facilitate the use of the Mustang bucket seats for intial 12 year run.

So when Ford did a recall in 1977 for the Faulty seat hinge, The recall wasn't just for the mustang, It was for the 1968-1977 Ford Bronco as well.

Tony K.
That is awesome info! Now I know how to widen my search net ;). Thanks Tony!

I do have a mig welder, and am local to you. PM me if you want to fix it.
Just sent you a PM. Thanks man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.