Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 3310-2 to rebuild. Carb looked decent and original on first inspection. Original factory goldfish color seemed intact other than dirty....

First strike- spray carb cleaner (gumout) and the dirty oily stuf didn’t really budge but the gold hue comes right off with no rubbing, just spray.. what the heck?

Strike 2 -Two base bolts missing.

Strike 3 - after some more cleaning it’s apparent someone smacked the bottom of the bowl good with a hammer. This is warping the bowl fitment.

Strike 4 - all the assembly screws seem super lose (gotta mean someone inspected and found all I found, stuck it back together and sold it off..

Strike 5 - the secondary side inserts have been over tightened to the point where they are coming through the carb body...explaining why someone tried to double gasket it.

Strike 6 - stake locked throttle plate screws are stripped.

Strike 7 - the center squirted is a 25, jets are 72 & 78?

I also forgot to mention the fuel float in the secondary side was set all the way to the bottom..

‘Never buying another EBay carb.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I sold a 4100 and the buyer contacted me about a broken screw that I had not noticed.
He sent a pic. I gave him the partial refund he was looking for. The point is that you should contact the seller. Look closely at the description of the part and contact Ebay if you are not satisfied. If they had the status set to “used” you have an expectation of being able to make it work. If they listed it as “for parts” you may be out of luck. The other thing to do is ask basic questions like “if I install a rebuild kit will this work”. If the answer is “no” you can ask why. If the answer is shady steer clear

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sold a 4100 and the buyer contacted me about a broken screw that I had not noticed.
He sent a pic. I gave him the partial refund he was looking for. The point is that you should contact the seller. Look closely at the description of the part and contact Ebay if you are not satisfied. If they had the status set to “used” you have an expectation of being able to make it work. If they listed it as “for parts” you may be out of luck. The other thing to do is ask basic questions like “if I install a rebuild kit will this work”. If the answer is “no” you can ask why. If the answer is shady steer clear
I’m sending it back to the seller. He was cool about it. But I’m out extra parts, time and $15 worth of carb cleaner. Maybe... I’ll use those parts on another carb someday, but really would rather not have them until I need them. If the screws weren’t all very lose I’d feel worse about it for the seller. But I have a feeling someone took it apart, realized it was damaged and then shelved it for several years. Then one day just sold it.

·
Super Moderator
10,060 Posts
I’m sending it back to the seller. He was cool about it. But I’m out extra parts, time and $15 worth of carb cleaner. Maybe... I’ll use those parts on another carb someday, but really would rather not have them until I need them. If the screws weren’t all very lose I’d feel worse about it for the seller. But I have a feeling someone took it apart, realized it was damaged and then shelled it for several years. Then one day just sold it.
Surprised, very good guy.

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
I had good luck with getting some 4100s off ebay. I'm running one now that only took a gasket kit and I have a 1.12 on a shelf to customize later if I take the notion. Like anything in life...
*some assembly required
*batteries not included
*your results may vary
I get tired of having to work on pretty much anything before I can use it, used OR NEW.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There used to be tons of guys at car shows selling rebuilt Holley's back in the 80's. Bought a few carbs, it was hit or miss whether they worked. You were better off watching the junkyards for the cars that came in wrecked and trying to get one off of them. You'd never get a Holley, but an Autolite or Motorcraft, sure. They were usually running when they were wrecked, so the carb was at least functional.

·
Premium Member
13,184 Posts
One never knows. Often a the photos don't show, and the seller just doesn’t know, what they have, good or bad.

I struck gold with an eBay purchase of a lot of four Autolite 4100’s some time ago. All were restorable.
......and of them was a HiPo carb.

Z

·
Registered
407 Posts
I could never understand why people buy used carbs site unseen. Your carburetor is the key to getting the most out of your motor. This is not the place to take chances.
Buy new or reputable manufacture.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Always buy a new carb; always.
When cutting my teeth in this arena I bought 3 used over 3 years. I then bought a new one and Oh boy... .vroom vroom ! I refused to pass them on . They on a shelf somewhere in the garage. I would give them away to someone but not sell. This hobby is hard enough w/o the bullshit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I worked at Holley and know what to look for and know what needs to be replaced. Mismatched or missing parts are common. Wrong metering blocks also something to look for. If it’s missing the choke, first sign of trouble. Screw in the vacuum secondary lever, stay away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts