Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to visit my mom in Reno over Easter. A guy next door to her has had a 65 convertible in his back yard rotting in the elements for quite a few years now. Several years ago I first approached him about it, and the answer was "sentimental value ... not for sale ... gonna fix it up some day ... yadayadayada". I've asked again several times during visits, same story. Well, this last weekend, he approached me!! Said he wants to sell it now, needs the bucks. Before we even talked price, I took a thorough look at it. Floor pans completely gone, torque boxes and frame connectors toast, can fit my fist through the cowl vent holes, fenders, 1/4 panels, doors rusted through etc. No way I'm touching it at ANY price. He got all pissed off at me for not buying. I got all pissed off at him for not selling when the car was still restorable.

Bums me out. I'd KILL for a restorable 65 convertible, and here's one right next door to Mom that some doofus let rot to nothing! Oh well, the search continues ...

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
329 Posts
People who leave cars out like that to rot with the intent of "someday" fixing them up piss me off! I know of one 71 Charger and 2 68's (all big blocks too) just rotting away up in the thumb of Michigan with the same story. This dude is gonna restore em all. She-ite yeah! By the time they are done decomposing there won't be anything left.

66 Coupe
C Code
http://biology2.biosci.wayne.edu/dave/must/st54.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
I cringe thinking about how many people have let cars like the one next to your mother's sit and rot. My first Mustang sat for three years before I bought it, and that was bad enough. I had the car 45 min. (signed the title and exchanged the cash) when three of the brake lines snapped/failed and I ran a stop sign. An F-150 nailed me right behind the driver's door. My car came to a stop a block away, and the cops showed up asking why I had fled the scene of the accident. The brake fluid all over the road and brake pedal on the floor answered their questions.

The car had been neglected too long and I was a stupid 16 year old who knew no better when I bought it. Eventually a shock tower parted from the frame- and this in 1987 when they didn't make aftermarket shock towers. That car is in the woods somewhere, I'm sure.

But, I checked out your website and the difference you made in your present coupe. Are you sure you don't want to resurrect that poor convertible from the trash heap? Maybe you should try to get the present owner to pay YOU to haul it away!

Letting such cars rot should be a crime.

Doug

http://www2.dmci.net/users/dbowman/snowymustang.jpg

'66 signal flare red coupe with styled steel wheels
289 4bbl. w/ power steering, brakes, and A/C
White interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, and an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids . . .

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by yllwjrsy on 04/16/01 12:34 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
yeah, there is a guy in town with 2 65's in the front and one in the back (coupes) not covered or anything. theyve been there for years. wont even talk to anybody about selling them. judging by the looks though, theyd only be good for parts cars now. just driving by from a distance u can see that half the car is rust. what a waste. i have an uncle the same way only with a good car. he bought a brand new conversion van with tv and everything. brand new. the tranny went out. my dad offered to rebuild it for him. he decided to let it rot. its been sitting in knee high grass for about 10 years. its not the same as a classic stang but it is still a waste.

Corpus Christi TX

G

·
0 Posts
The worst thing that you can do to a car is let it sit in the grass. The constant humidity / moisture that is produced by the grass will just disintegrate anything below the doors. Its pretty sad. If these people that plan on restoring these cars had any sense they would smarten up and store them correctly. When they decide to start the restoration or sell it it wont be such a basket case. sorry for the ranting, but ive looked at many a car that is in this situation.

Woodman

67 coupe - 302 4V, C4, Versailles 9"

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I really didn't want to sell my '69 F-bird but deep down I knew I wouldn't get to it in time with two Mustangs and a Fairmont project ahead of it.

Now some Australian Pontiac enthusiast is busy resurrecting it. Bless him.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Shame! Shame! Shame! Waiting until the last minute! Oh, man i got a report to do for school tomorrow!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts