Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ive seen several references to the 427 as an option in 1968, yet i also have seen beside this "no known examples"

So, there WAS a 427, but they never built any?!

Anyone explain this?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
912 Posts
I was under the impression that they used the 427 in the gt-500 for a while in 1967 before they switched to the 428. The book that I bought about all the options for the 1968 model year (my year) does list the 427 as an option. I have no idea if they made any though.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,744 Posts
Last I heard (I'm no authority) "Ford" never built a 427 Mustang. Much as "Ford" never built a Shelby Mustang. However KarKraft or whatever the name is, was supposed to have taken delivery of 6-8 new cars and installed 427's in them. These cars were probably headed straight for drag racing duty and were never licensed, making them a lot harder to track down.
The search for these cars is ongoing and there is likely more current info out there.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
If I remember right, they were all dealer installed option. I have seen 3 so far. There was a one of two cars built with a 427 for Shelbys race team that was featured on My Classic Car TV.Guy in Florida owns it along with a real Cobra. I dont know if they were factory installed for just this reason. The car was white with dual blue race stripes over the top with a unique 1/8th inch pin stripe to the outside of the two big ones.

G

·
0 Posts
My neighbor swears he has one,but since his house
was seized by the Feds because his daughter
was selling drugs,their still fighting over it.
I haven't actually seen it.
I believe him because he was an ex-Captain of our
Sheriffs dept.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe ive seen a reference to them as a "dealer installed option", however the fact i have seen "no known examples" just confuses the situation further.

Gary

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
"W" code
Never have actually seen or heard of a bona-fide 427 "W" code 68 Mustang, but I have seen a couple of "W" code 68 Cougars....Automatics only.

G

·
0 Posts
no actual 427 68 Mustangs ever have been found. There were a couple Cougars. The 427 was installed in some Shelbys as a dealer option. These are the facts.

·
Registered
340 Posts
No '68 427 W-codes ex-factory as Kevin Marti confirmed. However we have one 68 with a 427 and a W-code tag and stamping over here in Switzerland . It has yet to be documented with pics and sufficient paperwork. It had not a W-code from the factory, however, so somebody has altered it later.

·
Registered
199 Posts
it's kind of like the 71 boss 302 that ford never made,,,,,
or maybe there .... are a couple out there.
i know we want that to be true
mac.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Gary, Take it for what it`s worth. I missed buying a "W" code coupe by 1/2 hour. not in the best shape mind you, but a "W" code just the same.
John

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Now a guy in Omaha Nebraska says he has a Reggi Jackson
ordered 427 Mustang. Is it possible somebody of his stature could get one like that?

G

·
0 Posts
A couple of local mechanics swear that a guy in this area bought one new and still has it. I just chuckled to myself and avoided the arguement at the time, but believe now the truth is worth pursuing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts