Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today is the second day of school, and I chose Power Systems as an elective. The main reason I did, is because I'm going to be rebuilding the 351W soon, and I'd like to have some hands on experience before I attempt it. (even thought you guys could walk me through it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) Anyways, the teacher that had previously taught this class retired at the end of last year. Well, I walk in, and sit down. The teacher is a woman, which I have no problem with. But the more she talks, the more I'm thinking.....she has no idea what she's doing in this class. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif So then she says if you really want to learn this stuff, to DROP OUT AND COME BACK NEXT YEAR!! I figured she was joking! She said she really has no idea what she's doing, and when we get to the engines, we won't even be rebuilding them....she said to take them apart, pay attention to where things go, and simply put it back together. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif What should I do? I definitely think a complaint is in order....what do you guys think? *sigh* This school district is always like this....unorganized, pure idiots on the board, spending money where it shouldn't be spent, etc, etc. Ok, my rant is over. Thanks for listening.

BTW, How could they even THINK about hiring this teacher for this job? Wouldn't it make more sense not to have the class this year, inform the students of the reason, and then get it resolved for the next year?

·
Registered
771 Posts
if it were me and the class i would bring it to the principals attention and tell him what your plans were and how this is gunna affetc them and ur learning

G

·
Definately complain to your counselor. She is merely given the curriculum & sent into the abyss. My shop teacher(in 1976) made us take the General Motors Doctorate of Motors exam... it was tough! Then we had to do a tear-down & re-assemble an engine & test run it BEFORE we could bring something in to work on.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Definitely talk to the principal. If the teacher actually said "I'm don't know this stuff" - that would warrant a trip to the Principal's office for the teacher. I'm sorry that you're getting short changed on your expectations, but that's out of line for the teacher to act like that. SWMBO's family is full of teachers and I've learned that that kind of behavior leads to loss of control in the classroom.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
God Bless the NEA!!!! Idiots.
I feel sorry for you. Complain, and get some satisfaction.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Whoa.. you're making WAY too much sense. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif True, the school district should cancel the class until they find a suitable instructor but most likely, they're trying to maintain the budget for the class by keeping it on the books.

You could talk to your school counselor to see what steps (if any) that can be taken. Heck, you might even be able to find a local Mechanic or even a High School teacher to cover the class. You might also write to the school board with the rest of the students about this issue. You can also complain to the State board too. There's a lot you could do, but whether it helps... who knows. Either way, good luck... it sounds like a really crappy situation.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
You will find this type of incompetence everywhere you walk in life. Teachers have something called "tenure" after working a few years and that dictates who gets what job instead of getting cut. So you have the one's that maybe don't know squat but still have a job and can learn the stuff and teach it eventually, but you also have the younger teachers who get cut but really do want to teach and haven't yet had their ideals knocked out of them yet. I must say most of the teachers out there are fantastic, but as in everything and everywhere you have a few idiots and unfortunately they are difficult to get rid of due to tenure. Sometimes you just have to bust your gut and learn it on your own. The info is in the words on the page...good luck.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Oh, I've got one better!!!!

Go to the local TV stations...

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
The teacher is doing you a favor. It seems fairly obvious to me that they were not able to find a qualified instructor for the shop class and had to put a body in there to keep the class open. It is highly unlikely that the principle is unaware of the situation, so complaining to him/her will not have much impact.

Talk to your counselor to figure out what to do, or stay in the class and make the best of it. Can you take it again if you stay in?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I love how everyone knows how to fix the educational system /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

In fact, the principal probably does know the teacher isn't qualified, but if he/she drops the course then where will those other students go? I don't know about your school, but if it's like mine, the classes will be too full if a class was phased out. State guidelines.... Our educational system is in serious trouble and we'll either start paying our teachers well or we'll all suffer from it.

{serious rant eliminator enacted]

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no clue how to fix the system. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Anyways, the classes would be huge....even "huger" than they already are! There's already about 30-35 students in each class! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I couldn't handle being a teacher...hehe.
I think I'm just going to stay in, read the book, do what I can, and then I'll see if I can take it over again. Thanks for the responses everyone.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
sounds like the architecture class i had last year. They had no one to teach the advanced class, so they just took one of the auto teachers and put them in charge of the class. We didnt learn anything, but it was a good study hall to listen to music, play, games, and surf the internet /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I feel bad, we don't start school for another 2 weeks *G*

G

·
Whoa Dude!! I worked in the local school district for a couple years and I can tell you that MOST of the teachers are truly dedicated to their jobs. BUT, there's a few rotten ones in every profession. I'd agree that you should talk to your coulselor, maybe see if you can drop the class for this semester and pick it back up when they have a qualified teacher in there. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What should you do?

First... Check out her car. If she drives a Yugo, Rambler or Dodge Volare change classes. If she drives a Mustang go to step # two.

Second... If she drives a Mustang... let her know about your interest in Mustangs and of course mention the VMF.

Third... If she is single and in her first year of teaching... invite her to go junk yarding with you some Saturday.

Fourth... If she is really cool, keeps the Mustang, secure in her job, and interested, become a real go-getter and marry her. Then you can take her to work and "GO- GETT'ER"

Fifth... forget all the worthless blather I have just mentioned and register a complaint with the school board, talk to your counselor and drop the class. You would be better off to invest your time in a cooking class.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
eh....... how about this: I'm currently like lined up for valedictorian. There's a girl also trying to get it who's parents are both dentists. She doesnt care, just the parents. Anyways now she is taking AP Chemistry AGAIN! now i might have to take it again for the added GPA points, even though i got a 4 on the AP test and an A+ both times.

gawd i wish i could just take a normal class for once /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Go talk to your teacher, and then your counseler . . .

1. Explain to the teacher that you understand the situation, but that you need the credit for this class. Offer to take the class as "independant study", or offer to take the class for credit as the "teacher's assistant" (you could help her out and teach the class for her /forums/images/icons/smile.gif). If she says 'Yes" to either of these options,

2. Go talk to your counseler, explain the situation, and . . . with your counseler's approval, take advantage of the situation and build that motor in class /forums/images/icons/smile.gif! Get your credit, and take advantage of the school's autoshop for the time and tools!!

Good luck,

Rick

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Autoshop? I wish. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif No autoshop, just a big room with 30 year old equipment in it. (I go to the really old school....if I lived by the new school, I would have an autoshop, nice equipment, etc, but I would also have to deal with the gangs /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif *sigh* Thanks for the ideas. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
woh.. a cool class where you might actually learn something that can be applied to every day life??? why the would a public school ever want to do that???? ARGH!!!!!!!!!1 i feal your pain. im a seinor in high school this year (i start monday) and for the past 2 years, they have cancled classes on me (the first year they didnt tell me, this year i knew they were going to screw me so i went and asked. sure enough, they were going to screw me, but i got it resolved... somewhat. still didnt get to take the class).

my hatred for my school, and the district is incomprehensible... i am having a hard time typing now, just thinking about it. the worst part is, theres nothing i can do. every year they have done something to try and screw me over... i cant wait til college. at least than i can tell the school to go screw themselves and i can go elsewhere....

as for your problem... good luck. i would recomend trying to complain... but that wont get you anywhere. just stay in the class, and teach it to yourself. you have the tools avalable. read the book, and learn something... ignore the teacher. good luck which ever way you go. i know how you feal.

- Jason

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sean,
I have your solution.....leave IL and move uo to God's country-WI !!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If you move to Waupaca WI you can go to a new High School (3 years old) take an engine or auto shop class from my buddy Bill (who really knows his stuff & is one hell of a nice guy!) And if that's not enough... you could get involved in his Beat the Heat Program, work on and even drive one of their two race cars (1/4 mile)!!! All together... Great, State, teacher, school, classes, auto shop, racing program!!! Whats not to love???? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The big Plus..... The Green Bay Packers!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
JDiehl
70 76B Convert 351 C4v w/a Shaker!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts