Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my the cap with this nice used one. The plastic on my original was cracked, and it was not straight either. Replaced it with this one, and still not straight / level!

Do I need to replace the fuel neck?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I would guess its the fuel neck since that is what dictates how the cap will sit....worst case scenario you could cut it, clock it, and weld it if a new one doesnt do the trick.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Yup most likely the filler neck itself is built wrong.
BTW those '68 gas caps never last long AFA cracks in the plastic go. I put a NOS
one right out of the Autolite box on my car about 1992..... it started cracking
in 2005. The original cap went from '68 all the way to about the mid-80's before
the cracking was hideous. (The repos may be better, don't know).
This is on a seldom driven, garage kept car.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Maybe swap to a different filler pipe or a different year gas cap if it doesn't hafta be year-correct. Maybe post a pic of your filler pipe without the cap on so another VMFr can compare

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I’ll take a pic of the flange, sans cap. I assume over time, the flange has either worn away, or is bent, now alllowing the cap to turn further.

When I replaced the filler neck rubber hose and had the neck removed, I doubled up on the cork gasket that seats the flange to the tail panel. Also put a new rubber gasket on the cap. None of these tweaks helped or hurt the situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts