Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I've got a Yamaha YZ125 that I blew up a couple of years ago. I need to get it apart, fixed, and put back together again. I have ZERO experience working on motorcycles, but it looks like this is the time to learn and get it done. I'm still putting in 40 hours a week at work (essential), but the weekend activities have been limited to getting stuff done around the house. I finally took down the old satellite dish after we cut that cord 1.5 years ago, and I saw I need to fix the roof over the carport. Chopped down some desert broom bushes and added them to the burn pile. Need to buy some more stain for the front deck to keep my wife happy, and fix/replace the stairs up the deck. Lots more to do along with the regular Mustang and other vehicle maintenance.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Motorcycles are a lot easier in my opinion! I think it's because the whole thing is all right there in front of you.
Yeah, and they don't take up much space!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I built a new workbench this weekend. My shop was getting really messy, so I"m cleaning it up so I'm not tripping over stuff.

The wide angle lens makes the right corner look sloped, but it's flat. I had a few tools on the gladiator bench that needed a bigger work surface. A chop saw and drill press barely fit, so the new bench will be perfect.

For the Gladiator bench, I'm going to get some casters and I'll build a new top out of metal for that gladiator bench so I can make a welding table out of it.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Motorcycles are a lot easier in my opinion! I think it's because the whole thing is all right there in front of you.
I guess I'll find out! The guy who I bought it from threw in the Factory Service Manual as part of the deal.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I guess I'll find out! The guy who I bought it from threw in the Factory Service Manual as part of the deal.
That's a blessing. Most of my 2 wheelers go back to '48 through mid 60s. Had to scrounge the eBay for manuals. When I purchased the '48 Whizzer, the owner's Estate gave me the Original owner's manual along with a bunch of parts. I got lucky on that one.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
The wife says I gotta get the hose ready to sell if we're moving to Florida. So today after a few hours in the turkey woods I redid the master bath. Bottom two pics taken around noon today. Gotta hook the plumbing up and reinstall the trim. The wife is over the moon.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Ok, I thought it was gonna be great to have a 4 day weekend every other weekend when my boss mentioned it. But this damn wife of mine is just been unrelenting in her drive to get this house market ready. Entryway into our home.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Last weekend and this weekend I installed LED lights in a small waterfall in our backyard. Project took longer than it should have because I mistakenly blew up the first LED controller I bought. As I mapped the project out in my head, I thought, well the LEDs run on 12v and the rest of my landscape lights are also 12v. So, I’ll hook the controller to the existing transformer that runs everything else, easy peazy! Never even occurred to me that one was DC, the other AC....DOH! Just made a cool pop sound when I plugged it in. Got the new controller this week along with an AC/DC converter and hooked it up today. Sadly, all this new worked broke one of the delicate solder points on the LED strip, so I had to remove everything I did last week to repair the connection. But, what else was I gonna do? Wife hates it, says it looks like a cheesy nightclub in Miami. I thought that was a compliment.....

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
My next project, literally fell into /outa place, Ugh! This afternoon, I'm in the garage tinkering with one of my old motorbikes. My wife frantically calls me, telling me we have a a leak beneath the bathroom vanity. My first action was to cut off the water supply as I ran upstairs. I arrive at the second floor master bath to find the place soaked, inside the vanity, the drawers of the vanity, the floor, rugs etc. So, after bailing out the room and mopping up as much of the floor and vanity, as possible, I discovered a hot water line feeding the Bidet had ruptured at the joint. I'm not sure how long this had been spraying water but is was enough to cave in the ceiling of of the guest bedroom on the ground level beneath the bathroom. I had just moved stuff from another BR as i was going to paint trim. What a friggin mess........if this is not bad enough, the ceilings in my home were hand crafted with designs in plaster ( you can see some of the work) and I'm quite sure the guys who did this work are long gone.. To make matters worse....we lost 8 rolls of precious TP. LOL!
Thing is, I was feeling really good about things as, the previous day, I was able to diagnose and fix an Amana PTAC unit (through the wall hotel steps Heat pump/AC system that was not supplying heat. This saved me about a grand, as i was looking at a replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Made a welding table using the gladiator cabinets mentioned a few posts back as the base. Found the 1” x 3” steel on Facebook market place for $54

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are nice cabinets too. I have them in my garage.
That's a great work bench idea!

·
Registered
680 Posts
My next project, literally fell into /outa place, Ugh! This afternoon, I'm in the garage tinkering with one of my old motorbikes. My wife frantically calls me, telling me we have a a leak beneath the bathroom vanity. My first action was to cut off the water supply as I ran upstairs. I arrive at the second floor master bath to find the place soaked, inside the vanity, the drawers of the vanity, the floor, rugs etc. So, after bailing out the room and mopping up as much of the floor and vanity, as possible, I discovered a hot water line feeding the Bidet had ruptured at the joint. I'm not sure how long this had been spraying water but is was enough to cave in the ceiling of of the guest bedroom on the ground level beneath the bathroom. I had just moved stuff from another BR as i was going to paint trim. What a friggin mess........if this is not bad enough, the ceilings in my home were hand crafted with designs in plaster ( you can see some of the work) and I'm quite sure the guys who did this work are long gone.. To make matters worse....we lost 8 rolls of precious TP. LOL!
Thing is, I was feeling really good about things as, the previous day, I was able to diagnose and fix an Amana PTAC unit (through the wall hotel steps Heat pump/AC system that was not supplying heat. This saved me about a grand, as i was looking at a replacement.
Holy hell, that’s is a mess! Sorry you have to deal with that. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
This being my first of a new 4 day work week while still retaining full benefits thanks to my awesome employer, Mrs Nailbender and I got the koi pond out of winter hibernation and got the summer pump and filter hooked up. 6 Koi at 24" or more. I'll start treating the murky water in a week or so but don't want clear water until the trees leaf up so the birds of prey don't make off with the fish even though there is a fine mesh net over the pond.
How do you keep it from turning green? I had to saturate the surface with Lillys, then you cant see anything.

Do you make your own filter?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Our 2 year old house had a horrible leveling job done on the lot with very little topsoil.

Each spring I have put out 25 bags of composted manure on the front lawn in an attempt to build teh soil up.

This spring we are mixing sand and manure to fill in low spots and fill in the riverbed that has developed from the downspout discharge. I will have to move some downspouts around to keep the problem from repeating.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
How do you keep it from turning green? I had to saturate the surface with Lillys, then you cant see anything.

Do you make your own filter?
I use an older version of this Pondmaster Clearguard Pressurized Pond Filters | Danner Manufacturing Inc.

And this stuff helps to clear the water Amazon.com : API POND ALGAEFIX Algae Control 1-Gallon Bottle : Algaecide Water Treatments : Pet Supplies

Then there is the $350 pump with a 2 year warranty that dies at 2 years and a month. Ponds are expensive! Not Mustang expensive though.

·
Registered
887 Posts
As this virus mess is disrupting many plans all over I have been attempting to offset some of the lack of a normal paycheck by taking on more side projects. The current small job is fixing up some old FJ fenders. They have been sand blasted and have lots of areas of "lace" that the rust has Swiss cheesed the parts. Lots of forming and lots of metal finishing keeps me from going any more crazy.

60891823184__F9F6E503-09F6-4DB5-B201-D2DF4089CD6F.jpeg

60893781937__C9410616-69E7-414E-B112-EC8CEA01CC88.jpeg

In-between extra jobs I have been tending to our next major project, building a new smaller house and a larger shop. Our current home is located in a residential city neighborhood which does not allow for commercial business'. So...

IMG_2474.jpeg

... this past New Year we purchased some acreage out in the county to start the next chapter of our lives, along with being able to grow my business. All the planning and things that go along with new construction takes up a bunch of time and preparation for the actual ground braking that has been severely delayed with this stay home order. I know it will get better and will turn back around. Meanwhile, I've got lots of landscaping and cleaning to do.

I hope everyone is safe and stays well during all this!

Mike

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Pulled the radiator again yesterday in the '48 and got the driver's side fitting resoldered. Got it all back together the same day.... a sure sign I've R&R'd this radiator too many times now.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
You all have me beat. I have a vintage Benjamin and very, very early Red Ryder propped against the fireplace behind me, a vintage barrel break German precision, early Crossman 760, Crossman spring pistol and late model Gamo. The Precision,Benjamin and Gamo are the only ones that work. I reworked the Crossman 760 a few years back and got it working again...for about two weeks. It was such a pain working on it the first time, I decided to park it in corner. Inexpensive rifle but I got it when I was a kid. Wore it out, guess it has had about 30,000 BBs through it. A friend and I both had them and we would buy the Daisy Treasure Chests of 5,000 BBs and spend hours shooting.
+1 for the 760. Many a blue jay felt the wrath of my 11 year old aim....

81 - 100 of 100 Posts