Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to convert my 67 6 cylinder to 5 lug WHEELS ONLY! I am not putting a V8 in this car, so I don't care about stronger suspension or disk brakes or anything like that. I just want to put cragars or torque thrusters on it. So my question is what do I NEED to convert it to 5 lug. I am not interested in adapters. I don't feel that they are entirely safe, and my wife is going to be driving this car alot. I am on a budget, so if I could like find an old granada or maverick to steal the parts out of, that would be awesome!

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
Why do you want to spend so much money just to get a set of aftermarket wheels on there? There are many choices of wheel that will fit your 4-bolt car.

There is no 'magic bullet' for changing this over to 5-bolt. Nothing from Maverics, Granadas, Pintos, or any other car will do this. Changing the front brakes and rear axle assembly is the ONLY way to do this, other than adapters.

On the other hand, these will bolt right on:

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Granada swap is usually done for front discs, not just to get it to 5 lug. You can do that with new spindles. What were you planning for the rear? All this for a set of wheels seems a bit much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I was thinking that if I could find a granada around that was rusted out, I could take the rear out of it and haul the rest of it for scrap iron. I live in Washington state, and it rains more than it shines here, so there are lots of rusting hulks around here that a guy can get for almost nothing, and the price of scrap here is really good! And I have also heard that the 67 mustangs have the same spindles for 6 cylinder or v8 cars. I heard it was just the hubs that are different. Is this true? I see lots of v8 mustang hubs on craigslist for cheap if I could just swap them over. If I could just take the disk brakes from the granada and bolt them up fairly easily, I might be willing to do that too. And yes, I have looked at the options for 4 lug wheels like the Ansen Sprint shown above, I guess I am just partial to the 5 spoke design. I am not saying I have made up my mind either way. I just want to know what parts I would need if I found a 5 lug car cheap.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Ok the easiest way I see if you are set on 5 lugs. would be to get v8 front brakes, backing plates,drums,etc. Those will bolt right onto your current spindles, so now your front wheels are five lug.As far as the rear I would look for a 67-70 8 inch rear and bolt that in. There is a very good chance that if you get a rear out of a Mustang your current Driveshaft could be retained.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok the easiest way I see if you are set on 5 lugs. would be to get v8 front brakes, backing plates,drums,etc. Those will bolt right onto your current spindles, so now your front wheels are five lug.As far as the rear I would look for a 67-70 8 inch rear and bolt that in. There is a very good chance that if you get a rear out of a Mustang your current Driveshaft could be retained.
Thank you! That is what I wanted to know! I just want to know what would work and what wouldn't in case I find some stuff lying around for cheap. For all of you trying to talk me out of this, I am not saying I am going to do it. But I am weighing my options since I don't really care for the 4 lug wheel choices. Thats all! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and another question I have for the 4 lug people. Do the 4 lug wheels from the fox body mustangs fit our cars? I haven't been able to track this info down. Also does anyone know if weld draglites fit older 4 lugs? I love the look of these too!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't think anyone is trying to talk you out of it. Instead, we're trying to point out that it seems like a lot of time and expense just to get the wheels you want. If that time and expense is worth it to you for wheels you love that are not available in 4 lug, go for it.

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
There are also these:

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
And these come in 4-bolt to fit your car:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Hey, quit giving my state a bad rap. East of the mountains, the weather is actually quite nice!

:)

-Matt

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha ha! I love it here in WA, but sometimes it gets so wet I feel like I'm rusting!! But yeah, my grandparents live over on the east side, and it is nice over there! 22GT, I like those last ones you showed me! I would put those on my car! Do you know where those are sold?

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
Ha ha! I love it here in WA, but sometimes it gets so wet I feel like I'm rusting!! But yeah, my grandparents live over on the east side, and it is nice over there! 22GT, I like those last ones you showed me! I would put those on my car! Do you know where those are sold?
I linked that image from Glazier/Nolan, their part number for that is G02299.

http://www.mustangbarn.com/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So you guys are gonna laugh at me! I was saying how I didn't know if I cared for the Ansen Sprint wheels. Then I saw those Konig Rewinds, and I really liked them! I showed them both to my wife (since the car is part hers), and she said she likes the ansen sprints! Go figure! LOL! Since I want to make this something she really likes, I will probably go with those! :) thanks for all the help!! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts