Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has done an AOD conversion, what headers worked well for you. I'm putting one in a '66. I've heard the tri-y's (which I have now) won't work. And, I've also heard that the flowtech's worked well so far. Anything else?
-Brian

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I happen to know johnpro installed an AOD in his 66 coupe; try sending him a PM.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm using JBA shorties. I used to have the model number memorized but it's been a while. I bought them from Internet Racer's Supply for a much better deal than directly from JBA. I have a 351W, though, so not sure if this even helps.

good luck,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The AOD is quite a bit wider than, say a C4. I used FlowTech full length ceramic coated hearders. They are an extremely tight fit, but did work out well. I had a problem at the steering gear box and had to dimple the header tube there to gain some clearance. Just for a comfort level, I also grround the collector flange down about 1/8" on the driver's side because it was so close to the pan. The passenger side needed no mods at all.

My car is lowered 1" in front, and I have about 3 3/4" ground clearance from ground to the collector flanges. I have to take speed bumps nice and slow, but otherwise have no problems.

All in all, I'm very happy with the setup.

·
7,028 Posts
To backup what John's saying here's what I've learned.

Everyone selling parts for AOD conversions says long tube headers won't work. John and a couple of other's I've talked to (alrorque for one) have used their long tubes, and although the fit is very tight (some have even had to tweak here or there) they've got them to fit.

My advice...if you don't have headers yet, get shorties so you KNOW you won't have a problem. If you do have long tube headers, try to use them as this will save you hundreds of dollars on your AOD project...money better spent elsewhere if the headers will work.

Phil

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've got a set of full length Heddman's on mine. They fit with no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts