Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It takes persistence and luck. Persistence to beat the bushes and ask around, yes. But it also takes persistence once you find a car even if it was not for sale.

Case in point: In 2004 I had found a 67 Mustang behind a guys house by driving down all of the alleys in a specific neighborhood. From the alleys you can see cars next to garages, behind houses and under car covers that can't be seen from the street. After leaving a note I heard back from the owner a week later and he talked about selling the car but backed off and changed his mind. But he told me about the car. 1967 GTA S-code coupe in Nightmist blue. Deluxe interior car, both consoles, tilt, 9" trasction lock, etc. Car was missing engine, trans and front seats and needed resto, but it was a California car and pretty solid.

A year later I left another note with no response. Last week I left another and got the call. Guy finally realizes that he's never going to get to it, and tells me about all of the parts he has in the garage, several 390 engines, hard parts, interior pieces, another tilt column, wheels, etc etc etc. He wants to get rid of ALL of it for a very reasonable price. I'm going over tomorrow morning to take inventory and seal the deal.

The moral of the story is that YES, these deals are still out there, and YES you can find one too. But the people that find more than a few are the people that are persistent and a little lucky too.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
yeah your right about that u just have to look

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
another case in point about my dads old 71 mach, picked it up last saturday. We sold it to him around 15-20 years ago for 1000. So he had the engine and trans rebuilt about 13 odd years ago. He never drove it cause it had no windshield. So it sat for 20 years. We get a call a few weeks ago seeing if we wanted to buy it back. We got that car, almost complete, with whats left of a car he scrapped years back for the reasonable price of 2800. Over the years he put at least 2k worth of stuff into it. I know its not the "look for 20 years" kinda find, but its still a diamond in the rough, the "elusive" good buy. This one was luck instead of persistance

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Just one more....My 72 Fastback was one hELL of a buy. 2500 w/302 FMX and just about every damn option available. Only things it didnt have were intermittent wipers (which Ive added BTW) cruise control and power seats

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I spend a few days a week on the road (really on the air,) and we always get driven to and from the airport in the hotel van. I am always looking down streets, alleys, into garages, barns, etc. looking for that "deal." So far I've only come across a few rust buckets, but I figure I have 30 more years before retirement to find one this way. Those are pretty good odds I think.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Man that sounds REAL nice, Very cool car Dusty ! There is a fellow VMFer looking for just that car. Ofcourse, send pics...
Good luck, you lucky dog !

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
It's very dried up around my area. The cars got picked over many years ago. I still look for that great find when ever I am out driving.

I do know of a ford tornino, I think thats what it was. It is a grabber blue car, that i know of for sure and the house next to that has with the grabber blue car is a 70 fastback sitting in the back yard. This is located in IN. haven't had a chance to stop by there yet.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I don't believe it, that the cars got picked over and there are no more. There are garages and car ports and back yards and barns and even open fields full of would be projects that the owners plan to get to "one of these days" and they never do. I know of many such cars all over my neighborhood in the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I agree, and many times it's projects brought into an area by ambitious 'restorers' and left to languish for a second or third time.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
IMO it's a little different in CA! Here in the rust belt if you do run across
a vintage car it's probably too far gone! That said finds do happen. I've run
across cars just by chance when I wasn't looking for one. In '82 while driving to
work there was a detour through a residential neighborhood. I see a forlorn
looking '70 Torino vert sitting in a front yard off the driveway. The shaker catches
my eye. After work I'll stop by and look it over. You non rust belt guys may not be
aware, back then Mustangs, Torinos, Cameros, Chargers etc. were pretty rusted out
in 10 years! I stop by after work for a closer look. At first glance the rear is hanging
low, the vert top is sagging on one side and the windshield is broken. I had
a rusty Wisconsin '70 Torino vert I was restoring sure would like to put the shaker
on it! This could be a parts car. I go up to the house and knock on the door.
Ask the guy if might be interested in selling the Torino I'd like to look it over.
I raised the hood, there sat a 351C 4V it all looked like a 3 or 4 year old car
including the complete shaker. Get down on the ground and look underneath.
Almost no rust except the lower quarter panels. Does it run I ask? He says it did
when I parked it but the battery is probably dead. He gets the keys, I hook up
the jumper cables it roars to life sounds very healthy. Turns out it was an Alabama
car, he brought it up here and a small tree fell on it he's discouraged and will be glad
to get rid of it...he's a GM guy anyway. Bought it for $700 and my first Torino vert
became the parts car!

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Not saying there isn't something out there. It's not easy to find anything any more for two reasons and one was mentioned, rust and the other is there are a lot of car guys around here and they are all after the same thing, parts cars or cheap projects. There's just to many eyes out there looking for the same thing. 15 years ago I knew of a boss 302 and several more projects but didn't have the cash to buy them. If you do find a project car it is more the likely rusted beyound repair and the owner always wants an arm and a leg for it.

Can't recall if I mentioned it or not but I know of a 65/66 fastback that has been sitting for more than 20 years, outside, won't sell!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But that's my point. If you give up or claim there are no more, you won't find any. I just started actually using Google earth to find cars. You can't tell what KIND of car it is because the detail is not there yet, but you CAN tell that there are cars or trucks there. There are a lot of rural areas around me where thousands of acres are not visible from the road. Most of these are farms and all of the land is owned by someone so there is a chance that cars are hidden just about anywhere in open sight IF you could get back on the land. But since you cant' tresspass, google earth will let you look through fields and behind barns from space!!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Let's see "Heart of Dixie" or souteast Wiconsin?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Google Earth -- brilliant!

Another wacky resource is a UPS driver, a trash collector, or a mail carrier. If you find one who is a car guy -- my UPS driver is one -- these guys know all our secrets!

BTW, those of you who have been good little boys and girls might want to include these books in your letters to the North Pole this year:

The Cobra in the Barn:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XIz1fA8pL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

The Hemi in the Barn:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hXCMwBbOL._AA240_.jpg

I have the Cobra one. It consists of about 30 stories about finding rare old cars in bad shape in out of the way places and bringing them back. The editor/main author Tom Cotter would tell you, never give up, never surrender. The rare finds are out there.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Meyer65 said:
So what you're saying dusty is driving the neighborhoods with your eyes peeled is a great way to start?
Yes, that is a great place to start. Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure that you DON'T JUST LOOK FOR MUSTANGS, or whatever car you are really wanting. If I saw say a 69 Nova that could be bought for $900 and I'm sure i could sell it for $1,500+ I'd do it and put the $600 towards my next Mustang project.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I found my 68 coupe in the paper,over priced but what the heck.Wife and I went over to have a look and the guy took $3000 for what was $4500 in the paper.
I know of a 67 coupe 6 to V8 swap but I can't get the owner to jump time will make it mine.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Lots of coupe's around here. I see them weekly when I cruise neighborhoods. Mostly 65/66.
As for finding nothing on Ohio.. I bet there's still quite a few stored in barns and garages. My car came from Ohio and was a barn find in 2004. It came from a barn in Miami County. Restored by a guy in Troy. He had 5 more Stangs in his building, all barn/garage finds...even a 67 GT350 that was pretty rough when I was there in 05'. My tranny and K-code motor mounts came out of that 67'.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts