Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Any socal (LA area) that runs a 390? I just purchased a fastback with a 390 in it and would like to get a sense of what the "normal" operating conditions (i.e. heat,noise, throttle response & gas mileage). Would be great to check out someone else's setup in person.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
No 390 here, but just wanted to say welcome and congrats on the purchase! Wave hi if you see me driving down the 405 and I'll do the same!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My 67 FB started out as a 390, but with the 428 CJ crank,428 CJ heads, and forged 30 over 410 pistons, it's now a 416. It runs warm to hot depending on the timing and outside temp. A cooling system in top shape is a must. I went with a moderate cam (Compcams XE262) so that helps. My best mileage to date has been 13 MPH on a 3hr road trip from Lake Isabella back to Ontario. Plug changes are a pain, parts are expensive and tougher to find compared to a small block. But the looks on peoples faces when you pop the hood makes it all worth it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are you guys cooling ? I *think* I solved my stalling problem... it is not overheating but I haven't pushed in 1 hour 405 traffic yet. What kind of radiator are you guys running?
I'm thinking of replacing the stock radiator to handle future upgrades like A/C and power steering.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts