Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got two calls today for someone claiming to be from the Social Security administration. A recorded voice said that there was something wrong with my social security account and I needed to call a number to straighten it out. The number wasn't even a toll free number. I think the scammers must getting desperate, couldn't afford a toll free number.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
It's been my policy for some time now to never answer my phone if I don't recognize the caller. Scammers always use somebody else's number as a front anyway, often using a number that's similar to yours hoping you'll pick up. I even get some from my own exact phone number directly to my voicemail. Scum of the earth rats.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I got one of those calls last week. On my gov cell no less.

I took it as an opportunity for a break from work, and had some fun with the scumbag. Managed to keep him on the phone for a good 20 min, debating the merits of why I didn’t need to worry about “legal action” against my SSN. Finally hung up on me when I started talking about aliens and their affinity for probing certain areas of the human body....

Total scum. So did my part to be scummy back to them.

:)

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I guess I'm just not that popular as I might get a "suspect" call once or twice a month at most. And since it's always a number that I don't recognize or not in my contact list, I ignore. If a voicemail is left, I listen to the beginning and then delete as soon as the spiel starts.

John

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
"Do Not Disturb" mode on my mobile phone blocks almost everything like that, lets contacts ring through, and anybody that calls back with 5, 10, or 15 minutes depending on my setting. It's worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I get at least one a day. I like messing with them. I try to keep them on the line as long as possible. Ask them if their name is Ben Chode next time. Even robokiller app only slows them down.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I guess I'm just not that popular as I might get a "suspect" call once or twice a month at most. And since it's always a number that I don't recognize or not in my contact list, I ignore. If a voicemail is left, I listen to the beginning and then delete as soon as the spiel starts.

John
Yup, this is how I handle it. And then I block that number on my phone, so it doesn't ring again, cuz sometimes I'll get 3 or 4 calls from the same number. Don't get annoying voicemails very often. Usually they call during the day, so I don't have the chance to mess with someone should I actually get a real person.

·
Registered
673 Posts
New robocall legislation has done nothing so far to curtail this nonsense. I used to live in SoCal and still have the same number on my cell phone. Most robo calls are from my old AC and prefix, but occasionally I get Chinese language robo voice mails from the South Bay. I block calls from unknown callers which keeps volume pretty low. Unfortunately it seems that these garbage calls are one of the costs of having a phone these days.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Canceled my roboblocker app today. They cant stop spoof numbers and they're nearly all spoofed numbers. I got 3 calls today, one was a Indian lady asking for the make and model of my car for the warranty (first words out of her mouth) I responded with "1972 Volkswagen superbeetle" a few moments pass and then she hangs up. Then I had a guy call me from Oklahoma, as I still have an ok number. He says right off "dont hang up. " I can tell he's a redneck from ok. Then he asks me to remove his number, he's gotten 3 messages from me about car warranty. I start to inform him that I am not calling him but what is happening is my number is being spoofed by Indian scammers. He seems to think that being on the no call list should stop it. I inform him that our laws have no authority in India where these scammers are calling from.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Since I still have my number from MI, I know that any call from MI is 99% likely to be spam, so it gets ignored, then blocked. Even calls from the area code I'm in get ignored, and then if they don't leave a message, they get blocked. I should just start answering them and leaving them by the speakers so they can listen to good tunes.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I got an extended warranty call today. kept the guy on the hook for almost 20 min, then told him I just bought a new car with an extended warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts