Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posting for a long time friend:

This Mustang is a true rust free, numbers matching California car. This car is as original as you will find with all its unmolested factory sheet metal and straight as an arrow. It was produced and sold in California and later imported by RM Sotheby's into Canada in 1984. RM Sotheby's is the world renowned auction house and restoration shop.

I have owned this Mustang since 1985.

289-2V; Automatic transmission; Power Steering; Power Front Disc Brakes; Factory Tinted Windows; Fold Down Rear Seat; Seat Belts with Shoulder Harness; Dual Side Mirrors

Arrow straight, original body panels. All panels are original to the car.

Rebuilt stock 289 with approx. 35K since the rebuild in 1987

Rebuilt stock C4 automatic.

Original bumpers re-chromed. Original trim. All in great condition.

Show quality paint done 4 years ago in the original Acapulco Blue in base clear. Painter has done several MCA Gold/Silver winners.

Original factory markings on rear differential and drive shaft.

Dale has many pictures of the car as it arrived untouched from California and through the restoration by RM.

Located in London, Ontario. 60 miles from Detroit, Michigan.

Few Mustangs of this quality and pedigree come on the market.

Price is $50,000 US

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks sweet I bet the buyer is happy, or they wouldn't have paid such a premium. HOWEVER, I always see the same seller claims "as original as it gets" or "as original as you will find" then a list of modifications, additions or changes. I mean really.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Kudos. And thanks for sharing the sale price. Not sure why that is often a big secret.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks sweet I bet the buyer is happy, or they wouldn't have paid such a premium. HOWEVER, I always see the same seller claims "as original as it gets" or "as original as you will find" then a list of modifications, additions or changes. I mean really.
Well Mr. SmartyPants what premium was paid?

What modifications do you see on this car? And you better remember I never claimed this car is an MCA gold car.

How many fastbacks do you see that have survived absolutely rust free for 50+ years, never been hit, perfect factory original body panels and show quality paint job. If your comparison is a clapped out fastback with Taiwanese metal and poor quality reproduction parts then I agree a premium was paid over a bottom car.

This car has its original engine, transmission, axle, carburetor, power booster, master cylinder, distributor, air cleaner, solenoid, dash pad, and radiator.

I honestly don't understand the audacity of some people who think they are experts over the guy who just bought it and who owns a '68 Shelby and a 67 390 GT. Some people know a gem when they see it. Others are just azzholes.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
What modifications do you see on this car? And you better remember I never claimed this car is an MCA gold car.
If you go back and re-read newish member @Master Hack's post #5, you will see he wasn't specifically referring to the car in question, and your name calling was bad form. On the other hand a #1 condition mustang can be loaded up with reproduction parts and still win MCA gold. Thoroughbred or close to thoroughbred status makes a difference, but even a car as nice as this one appears is still a C code, Non-GT with no A/C. That's why I have trouble seeing above about forty for it. To make the point, less than ten years ago someone like Bob Perkins (if feeling generous) would've had it in the low thirties. That's based on published values. So yeah, I think the seller made out, but if the buyer is satisfied it's all good. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not trying to bash the car.
And yes, I looked at several before buying mine, and similar claims were made only to find Edelbrock intake etc., and one actually said “as original as it gets” but I found several items disputing that claim, thereby the quote. I personally, would prefer an original paint job for an “original” car however faded as it may be. I like scratched door handles and pitted chrome bumpers. It’s how it should be after 50 years. Your friend made the claim that it was “original as you will find” meaning I won’t find another, and one that doesn’t have a new show quality paint job, regardless of who painted it. I’m not an expert and never claimed to be. I’m just a fan of old mustangs with an opinion. Still, great car and I’m sure, new proud owner.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kudos. And thanks for sharing the sale price. Not sure why that is often a big secret.
Thank you.
This post is a feel good post and yet some have decided to poop on it.
I am not sure why some have decided they are the experts on price when I have just shown they are not.
Like I said earlier, they are just being azzholes, implying the buyer is an idiot and the car is substandard.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thank you.
This post is a feel good post and yet some have decided to poop on it.
I am not sure why some have decided they are the experts on price when I have just shown they are not.
Like I said earlier, they are just being azzholes, implying the buyer is an idiot and the car is substandard.
Who cares what they think. So long as you and the buyer are happy it’s all good imo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts