Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, my baby left tonight it was meticulously maintained 93 GT 5.0 that was almost all stock and had 53k miles on it.
I lost my garage space to my current project and it was killing me to have the car sit out in the sun. So i sold it. I did really well getting 2k over book value for it and paying what I paid for it 3 years ago, when i bought it.
Now I don't know what to do....I have a rusty c code 68 FB I planned on restoring sitting in the yard. I also have a 84 5.0 Capri RS I am finishing a restoration on. Was thinking of possibly selling everything and buying a restored 68 FB. Just not sure if i should redo the one i have as it needs a ton of welding work etc. Only good thing is my old mans a welder by trade and we have all the equipment. Decisions Decisions.....

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Well, ask yourself if you're more interested in restoring a '68, or having a restored '68. If the later, definitely sell and buy an already restored car. Save yourself several thousand dollars and hundreds of hours.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my only concern with buying arestored car would be getting someones half ass work. my dad bought a 69 390 elim cougar back in 95 with the original "rebuilt" motor. 3 years and about 1500 miles later the car acted funny not running right etc. here we pull the motor take to the machine shop and one piston cracked. apparently whoever built the motor was mixing-matched used and new pistons/rods.
If we were to restore my FB I would know exactly what i had and it would be done right only thing is it would take years and a ton of time/money
Russ

·
Registered
59 Posts
Restore the one that you have. You will take more pride in knowing that the car you are driving you completed yourself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Restore the one that you have. You will take more pride in knowing that the car you are driving you completed yourself.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I agree with 66_Pony. Decide whether the journey or the destination is most important. If the destination is the primary thing, buy a finished car. Do the due diligence to minimize surprises, but the reality is you are buying a used car and surprises are always a risk.

Buying a project doesn't mean you won't find surprises that will increase the scope and/or cost of work. They just won't interrupt your enjoyment of the car. On the other hand, surprises in a finished car will interrupt your enjoyment, but only because you get to enjoy it years earlier than a project (and possibly for less money than restoring it yourself).

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Yes, that's always a possibility, but consider that even if you purchased a "restored" vehicle and had to rebuild the engine, it's STILL cheaper than restoring one yourself (and much faster).

I wouldn't let that worry affect your decision too much.

Good luck,

Steve

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'd keep the RS Capri 5.0- that is destined to be a classic. Not that many around.

Even if you buy a FB ready to drive you'll always be messing with it to get it the way you want. If your current FB is worth restoring then do it so it ends up beig exactly what you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts