Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't done this in awhile, the last time I installed a car stereo, the # 1 song was Disco Duck, Rick Dees. Should I solder the wires directly to the speaker terminals, or use crimp on connectors which push on to the speaker terminals? If I use the connectors, is it good enough to crimp the connectors on to the wire, or should I solder them? Standard HU running 18 guage wire. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I say use the crimp on connectors. You can put a drop of solder on the wire once its been crimped.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
When I'm feeling really anal I take the plasti cconnector off the connector.. Crimp the wire, then solder and shrink wrap.

·
Registered
38,194 Posts
I'm even more anal. I solder pigtails with connectors on to the speakers.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Crimp-on connectors will work just fine. Soldering is a bit overkill for speaker wires.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I like to solder the wires especially if they are hard to get too, now I have crimped wires on but only after I put a dab of solder on the spade to kinda give the terminal something to bite into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts