Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 coupe

I’m moving over to a Powermaster gear reduction starter with integrated solenoid.

I’ll be eliminating the factory one in fender well and I’ve got that all figured out I THINK..

The brown coil wire on the original one which is on the right side “I”
was as I read it to be able to run the coil while cranking.
And I also read that my MSD/hyperspark doesn’t need this function.....

So my question /Assumption is:

As I do the conversion, this brown wire is not needed and can be deleted/removed/terminated etc.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
The I terminal provides power to the coil during cranking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No point asking for trouble when it comes to vintage cars. You will have a much easier job and experience many less headaches, if you retain the fender-well mounted solenoid, and just wire the system as Ford did when they went to their own PMGR starter. You won't have to worry about "I" terminal wiring, as it will remain undisturbed.

I won't go into those details here, as it has been laid out in past threads. Just do a search for PMGR wiring.

·
Registered
37,714 Posts
If your MSD/Hyperspark provides power to the coil during cranking (assuming you're now using a 12V coil that does not require an external ballast resistor or resistance wire) then, by all means you can remove it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your MSD/Hyperspark provides power to the coil during cranking (assuming you're now using a 12V coil that does not require an external ballast resistor or resistance wire) then, by all means you can remove it.

Yep! That’s the info I’m looking to confirm....

And I did do a ton of searching, but not under that starter description.
I’ll read those threads.

I’m just going by the information Powermaster gave me as the recommended install method...
I’m using their “Master Torque” starter and 3g one wire 200amp alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts