Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, my car won't start again. This time however, I get a slight clicking when I engage the ignition, and the first couple of times it slowly whined and died, like a really low battery. Auto Zone says its got a full charge though. Also, no lights/radio coming on. Solenoid fried? Bad ground somewhere? Any other thoughts? Unfortunately I'm out of the country so I won't be able to test anything out for a while, but I need to get it fixed ASAP when I get home...

-Rob

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
It looks like a bad connection. if the solenoid was bad, you'd have lights. But no lights and good battery...bad connection!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
the poor solenoid gets blamed for everything - wish i had money spent on good ones replaced. if your lights and radio are not functioning you have major power distribution problem totally unrelated to solenoid (after starting car you can take solenoid out and throw it away and your car will not know it: however, you have to tie connections on battery tie point of solenoid where wire 38/37 goes to alt and then wire 37 from tie point near alt which is major power feed to fuze panel and non fuze protected circuits protected circuits (horn, etc) and finally to wire 21 which is switched 12Vs for starting and other functions. first i would do as Huskinhano suggested would be to check battery cables and terminal including grounding to block from neg battery term which your slight clicking sound indicates usually caused by bad battery or bad grounds (can also be other things). sometimes the cables get corroded under insulation near battery, heat up and deteriorare further and finally can't pass current as required. PM me if questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts