Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have tried everything, and I can't seem to get this bug worked out.
I have been having timing trouble. First off point's are all gaped to specs, and firing order is just fine, all cylinders are firing.
I am using a mallory dual point on a cleveland 2 barrel. I have been running it without my vacuum advance because it wont run steady it. I have thought it was a vacuum leak but I have sprayed 10 gallons of wd 40, checked all the lines, and I can't spot one. I even wd40'ed aall the under the car to the modulator valve. Nada.
Without the advance it runs nice , but it wont rev past 3k. When I hook up my vacuum hose it idles like at 1400 from 600 timing goes from about 12 degrees to 26 and just falls on its face on the road.I have tried every possible timing combination.
My guess is that my hose going to the vacuum thing on the distributor is coming from the wrong location. I have tried the single port in the front of the manifold(they dont have these on windsors), and also from a slot in the carb. They both do the same thing. Maybe I should go from the vacuum tree in the back of the manifold?? Should I run it fromn the tree to the carb then to the vacuum advance?? Im out of Ideas. Has anybody had this problem? I didnt think hooking a vacuum hose to the advance should change idle speed and timing at idle. I did plug tube when stting timing. Thanks, hope I was clear. Josh.
And I will send you a dollar if you fix it:)
M

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If I remember you have a holley 2v on there. Get your advance vacumm from the port by the passinger side metering block not at the base of the carb. Set your base timing without the vacumm advance hooked up at about 10 BTDC (make sure that you've marked the correct side of the balancer). Make sure to check the balancer first for the correct markings. Advance your timing in say 2 degree at a time, go out and ping test( 2nd gear at a lower speed full throttle). For vacumm leaks take a hose ( I like 1/2 inch id heater hose) one end to the ear and the other probing listening for whistling noise.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The vacuum advance hose needs to go from the distributor to the "timed" vacuum port on the carb. There should be 2 vacuum ports on the carb. 1 is full manifold vacuum and the other has nothing at idle, and then gets vacuum when you tip the throttle in. The second one is the right one.

The difference between these 2 ports is that one is below the throttle plate, (full vacuum) and the other "timed" port is just above the plate.

Where's my dollar.............. *G*.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I I found the port. Thanks guy's, check is in the mail /forums/images/icons/smile.gif But I have a new problem Im going to post on the board right now. And btw. pecofjunkar is a bad abbreviation for piece of junk car. The day I bought my car it died in the middle of a very busy intersection( positive coil wire fell off) in the middle of the day, and I screwed up traffic badly, very embarrasing. There was a homeless black guy on the side of the road that said " mayyyy, fow such a pretta caw, dat show is a piece of junk" . Thats were it came from.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
HAHAHAHA,,, LMAO that is the funniest story I've heard in getting a user name

1 - 7 of 7 Posts