Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,018 Posts
Or the flange where the rubber of the cap is supposed seat could be bent, corroded, or something. A bent one once gave me a fit before I noticed it.
Hot water goes in the top of the radiator, cooled water comes out the bottom. So your hoses being hot and warm indicate the system is working. When the weather and the engine are both quite hot, the temperature difference between the two hoses won't be as obvious. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: markiemark9

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was able to install dipstick through alternator bracket and use a 3G alternator. It’s tight but it will fit. Slight Adjustments on dipstick tube might be required...just make sure battery not connected. I have the fox serpentine as well.

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
1969 Convertible with 5.0 HO motor, AOD Transmission
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was able to install dipstick through alternator bracket and use a 3G alternator. It’s tight but it will fit. Slight Adjustments on dipstick tube might be required...just make sure battery not connected. I have the fox serpentine as well.
If you can message me with the process or share some pics I’d be grateful!

·
Registered
619 Posts
My install was like 665spd pictures. After going through the bracket, minor adjustment to clear back of alternator.
I placed hole as far back as I could. Also reformed bracket that came with dipstick and used that too. All of this was done while engine on stand. All I can say...patience is your friend.

I wasn’t sure of air intake/filter location during my build. Not sure I could get it to fit like Brads setup.

I also reused the factory hard lines for fuel rails down to the oil pan.

i will add more detailed pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

this is mine currently. Gonna do away with those chrome radiator hoses, add the dipstick like you’re both talking about and finish my wire tucking on the driver’s side and firewall area.

·
Dimples
5,379 Posts
My install was like 665spd pictures. After going through the bracket, minor adjustment to clear back of alternator.
I placed hole as far back as I could. Also reformed bracket that came with dipstick and used that too. All of this was done while engine on stand. All I can say...patience is your friend.

I wasn’t sure of air intake/filter location during my build. Not sure I could get it to fit like Brads setup.

I also reused the factory hard lines for fuel rails down to the oil pan.

i will add more detailed pictures tomorrow.

View attachment 754869
I dig your radiator hose solution. Mine has worked well for years, but yours looks better. Mine is a Frankenstein built out of a stock 5.0 hose and something random from the parts store that would do the job. What did you use?

Edit: I just realized that at least 3 of us are using our A/C compressors as idler pulleys for our serpentine setup, lol.

·
Registered
898 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
I dig your radiator hose solution. Mine has worked well for years, but yours looks better. Mine is a Frankenstein built out of a stock 5.0 hose and something random from the parts store that would do the job. What did you use?
I haven't gotten mine installed yet, but so far research has indicated the 86-90 Bronco hose is the one to get. NAPA #NBH 8427/Gates #21736. I put on an early style water neck, and realized it will face right into the back of the tensioner, so now I have a new 90 degree neck to install to make it face up and fit the Bronco hose. From the pictures I have seen, it looks like Nos681's

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Reactions: Nos681

·
Registered
619 Posts

These are the hoses I used with my “289” radiator. Both fittings on passenger side. Radiator was only about 10 years old, summer time only in my area due to snow. Used money elsewhere on my project.

I used a piece of pipe as a coupler, noticed hose movement. Ended up getting an aluminum 1-3/4” coupler for permanent install.

Thanks for header information.
I have Hooker 6901’s (long tube for 289/302/351w with z-bar clutch linkage).
Work great, but hang too low for 289/5.0L and a lowered car.
They would be ideal for 351w block.

I have less than 3-1/2” from header to pavement...2x4” won’t clear on long edge.

different headers or 351w...stroker?😁

·
Registered
619 Posts
Plan to use a/c compressor...hopefully this summer.

·
Registered
619 Posts
MM9...
brace question?
If you were to connect the pipes in front side of shock towers, would it clear the upper intake?

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
MM9...
brace question?
If you were to connect the pipes in front side of shock towers, would it clear the upper intake?
Not fully understanding what you were asking @markiemark9 , but... Ill butt in...
The Monte Carlo bar caused no interference. The export brace on mine interfered with the intake hose. I put in a very tight radius elbow for a diesel Ford and clearanced the brace about 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
619 Posts
665spd thanks.

He has a different brace which appears to have been cut.
Was wondering if there was interference?

And how far forward of shock tower where tube was welded...from a common reference point.

12588D75-FB67-4DB0-B153-418B407740E7.jpeg

·
Registered
619 Posts
665spd on another note.

Does export brace hit the intake manifold on your car?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Not fully understanding what you were asking @markiemark9 , but... Ill butt in...
The Monte Carlo bar caused no interference. The export brace on mine interfered with the intake hose. I put in a very tight radius elbow for a diesel Ford and clearanced the brace about 1/2 inch.
View attachment 756187

Can't you just run a 94-95 intake elbow which mounts the throttlebody at about a 45 degree angle.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts